ESOUI

ESOUI (https://www.esoui.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Authoring Discussion (https://www.esoui.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   AddOn Author Guilds? (https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375)

Cairenn 03/25/14 12:46 AM

AddOn Author Guilds?

Do you guys want me to set one up? Unfortunately I'll only be able to set up on the North American servers, unless I greatly miss my guess, so someone else will need to step up for the EU folks. Completely unsure what is happening with the Oceanic folks, whether they'll be on NA or EU servers, or have their own as well.

Anyway, yeah, folks in NA, would you like me to set up a guild on the live server? Suggestions on names?

skyraker 03/25/14 01:36 AM

I wouldn't mind joining such a guild.

Xrystal 03/25/14 02:38 AM

From what I understand your account can play on any server but each character is tied to a specific one. So, I could for example, play with friends in the UK, if I had any that played games, on the EU server and play with my US buddies on the US server.

Wykkyd 03/27/14 02:30 AM

ESOUI official guild wouldbe cool. Id join.

Shinni 03/27/14 09:53 AM

I'd join too, but I'll be playing on EU servers.

Vuelhering 03/27/14 11:55 AM

Call it either something simple like "Addon Authors" or something more subtle like "Advanced Tech Pioneers".

It could prove useful. Barring that, you could just make and sub to a chat channel. We don't need the other things like a guild bank.

Lodur 03/27/14 03:31 PM

Or "Arcane Scripters Guild"?

Guild ranks:
metatable master
twisted closures

And "Hello world" rank for newbies

Vuelhering 03/27/14 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lodur (Post 1834)
Or "Arcane Scripters Guild"?

Guild ranks:
metatable master
twisted closures

And "Hello world" rank for newbies

I like it!

I want the rank of "Anonymous Function".

Wykkyd 03/27/14 05:01 PM

And any dev with PTS access will get this:

My guild note will be: Expected function at line 0

I'd personally rather any dev guild I join be slightly professional, with a name that people who want to learn Lua for TESO would seek out.

Taiisien 03/27/14 05:48 PM

I'd Join, I think it would be a huge asset for aspiring addon authors, some place that they could go for ESO specific LUA help, though I also see the flip side of that, but think all in all it would be pretty cool.

Pawkette 03/27/14 06:33 PM

I'm down, as long as I get to get naked.:banana:

Jedric 03/27/14 08:23 PM

We'd love to have some addon authors in Nerve. We are a PvP and Crafting guild for the Aldmeri Dominion. :)

http://nervehq.com/

ingeniousclown 03/27/14 11:03 PM

Jedric brings up a good point... which faction would this guild be in?

Cairenn 03/28/14 12:27 AM

Multi-faction. It's my understanding that that is possible.

Vuelhering 03/28/14 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 1854)

The faction has to be chosen at creation, but anyone can join it. They *might* need to be logged in with a character of that faction, but I'm not certain about that. The faction doesn't actually matter, otherwise. Toss a 3-sided coin.

It would only matter for taking keeps, and if anyone actually claims a keep with the guild, then it has lost the purpose.

inDef 03/28/14 09:49 AM

I'm definitely in.

I don't have PTS access so I'm not an addon author yet, but I will be!

This would be great for the community, especially for folks who are learning (like me!).

Wykkyd 03/28/14 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawkette (Post 1846)
I'm down, as long as I get to get naked.:banana:

Well... there IS an addon that lets you /strip.

I also macro that with /cheer. And I macro /dress with /boo.

But I'm quirky like that.

Cairenn 03/28/14 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ingeniousclown (Post 1852)
Jedric brings up a good point... which faction would this guild be in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 1854)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vuelhering (Post 1855)
The faction has to be chosen at creation, but anyone can join it. They *might* need to be logged in with a character of that faction, but I'm not certain about that. The faction doesn't actually matter, otherwise. Toss a 3-sided coin.

It would only matter for taking keeps, and if anyone actually claims a keep with the guild, then it has lost the purpose.

Well, if I have to choose a faction when I make it, it'll be Aldmeri Dominion. 'Cairenn' is always a wood elf archer, or as close to that as possible, in whichever games I'm playing. Since ESO actually has a wood elf ... :)

Xrystal 03/28/14 03:24 PM

I'm pretty sure you have to have a character of the faction that the guild is made in to be invited. I set up a guild on my first beta weekend and invited my wow buddy playing at the same time and it didn't work at first, once he had switched to a new toon of the same faction it worked.

Vuelhering 03/28/14 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrystal (Post 1887)
I'm pretty sure you have to have a character of the faction that the guild is made in to be invited.

That would make some sense.

But once you're in, all your characters (of all factions) are in.

You might be able to invite the @name of any faction... we should test that.

Cairenn 03/28/14 07:14 PM

Okay, so I've been mulling this over in my head, trying to come up with ideas for a guild name based on things you guys have been saying. You want it to be:
  • somewhat professional in name
  • clearly having to do with who we are (UI Addon Authors)
  • but still have a bit of fun to it
  • let people who want to learn addon coding know that we're folks they can talk to about it
There have been three suggestions for names thus far:
  • Something as simple as "AddOn Authors"
  • or more subtle like "Advanced Tech Pioneers"
  • or "Arcane Scripters Guild".

An idea (well, it's kinda of all one idea, just variations on a theme) is that we could do something with the actual word 'Lua'. So some of the variants I thought of were:
  • Learning UI Addons
  • Learning User Addons
  • Loves UI Addons
  • Loves User Addons
  • Loves UI Authors
  • Leading UI Authors
Thoughts? Any other suggestions? Preferences between the various ones suggested thus far? We're only like a day and a half out, guys, need to settle on something. :)

[Edit] Oh yeah, forgot to put on the list of already suggested names - something ESOUI specific.

Wykkyd 03/28/14 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 1898)
Okay, so I've been mulling this over in my head, trying to come up with ideas for a guild name based on things you guys have been saying. You want it to be:
  • somewhat professional in name
  • clearly having to do with who we are (UI Addon Authors)
  • but still have a bit of fun to it
  • let people who want to learn addon coding know that we're folks they can talk to about it
Suggestions have been things as simple as "AddOn Authors" or more subtle like "Advanced Tech Pioneers" or "Arcane Scripters Guild".

An idea (well, it's kinda of all one idea, just variations on a theme) is that we could do something with the actual word 'Lua'. So some of the variants I thought of were:
  • Learning UI Addons
  • Learning User Addons
  • Loves UI Addons
  • Loves User Addons
  • Loves UI Authors
  • Leading UI Authors
Thoughts? Any other suggestions? Preferences between the various ones suggested thus far? We're only like a day and a half out, guys, need to settle on something. :)

Nerf Baseballs

^^ IE: the reason for a 'Nerf Bat'

On a serious note: Lua Developers
Concise & obvious.

Seerah 03/28/14 07:45 PM

It does need to be something fun, tongue-in-cheek, and/or clever. :)
  • Addon Addicts Anonymous
  • Addon Devs Collective
  • Level 11 Lua Skills
  • Code Monkeys
  • GetGuildName() (if they allow parentheses in the name)

Cairenn 03/28/14 07:47 PM

I thought about doing an "AAA" name, but wasn't sure how that'd go over. Don't want to upset anyone.

ingeniousclown 03/28/14 07:51 PM

I'm a fan of subtlety. I'm also a fan of clever naming so if there was an awesome name that fit the letters L, U and A, I'd be all over it.

Of the names suggested, the only one I really like at all is "Arcane Scripters Guild". One I thought of is "Tamriel's Meta-Scribes". The Meta-Scribe thing has a few different layers of meaning that I think is kinda cool. But you know, personal bias and all that.

Lua Developers is definite concise, but (and I know it's gonna sound kinda bad) I don't want the name to be so obvious that "idea guys" harass the guild members because they have the "next big idea".

Jedric 03/28/14 11:36 PM

GetGuildName would be cool, even if you can't have parenthesis.

ingeniousclown 03/29/14 12:14 AM

I like GetGuildName. "Lua users alliance" came up in the IRC, too.

Vuelhering 03/29/14 01:37 AM

Lua uber alles?

Okay, that would be offensive, potentially. But funny, if you can forget the Nazi references.... (coughs politely and walks away) Now I have a Dead Kennedy's earworm.

I was trying to work in a self-referential thing like GNU, like Lua's not an Acronym, but drew a blank with that middle letter U.

Learn, Understand, Apply. Not a good guild name though.
Learn to Update your Addons :)
Lecherous ugly something that starts with A....

Vuelhering 03/29/14 01:57 AM

If addons were coded in lisp, we could be "defun guild".

I like Arcane Scripters, but not with "Guild" at the end.
I like GetGuildName, but I'm still trying to come up with something similar that fits better.

Nekoyoubi 03/29/14 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vuelhering (Post 1893)
You might be able to invite the @name of any faction... we should test that.

You can @name invite out of faction. Tested in the last beta.

Xrystal 03/29/14 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nekoyoubi (Post 1927)
You can @name invite out of faction. Tested in the last beta.

Thanks for confirming that. I was inviting using the @name but was pretty sure that it didn't work when I tried. But it was my first time playing with it so I may have been mistaken.

Seerah 03/29/14 10:51 AM

Thought of another:

All Your Addons Are Belong To Us

Nekoyoubi 03/29/14 11:14 AM

Name suggestions...

I would love an invitation to this guild as well, thogh I will not have any AD toons unless needed for this function, please invite me at your earliest avail (@nekoyoubi). Thanks!

Guild names that I would suggest if I were to be so bold...

ESOUI (formal)
Dwemeri Constructs (lore-centric)
Tinkerer's Guild || Tinkerer's Union (fun)
Author's Guild (declarative)

I may edit with more, but I would say those are the one's that I like.

Xrystal 03/29/14 11:17 AM

Name wise, I like the sound of Arcane Scripters Guild. Fits right into the game style. Or a slightly different version, Arcane Scribes.

Xrystal 03/29/14 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 1933)
Thought of another:

All Your Addons Are Belong To Us

That one did make me laugh .. so definitely a vote on the humor side here. :banana:

Lodur 03/29/14 11:22 AM

The LUA Knight who say VIm

Wykkyd 03/29/14 11:37 AM

• Nil
  • Local Function
  • For Coders in Pairs
  • Lua Learning Luau
  • Table Dot Insert
  • Bloody Fingertips

skyraker 03/29/14 02:03 PM

TopLevelControl

Wykkyd 03/29/14 02:12 PM

ooo ooooo!

ZO_MCP

ZOS's standard window/object name prefix and: MCP = Master Control Program (from Tron)

Vuelhering 03/29/14 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wykkyd (Post 1955)
ooo ooooo!

ZO_MCP

ZOS's standard window/object name prefix and: MCP = Master Control Program (from Tron)

hah! I got it... although things starting with "ZO_" might cause issue with an overzealous GM claiming that's impersonating ZOS.

Cairenn 03/29/14 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vuelhering (Post 1967)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wykkyd (Post 1955)
ooo ooooo!

ZO_MCP

hah! I got it... although things starting with "ZO_" might cause issue with an overzealous GM claiming that's impersonating ZOS.

Hmm, that could be a concern, indeed.

Cairenn 03/29/14 03:50 PM

<Guild Name Here>
<Insert Guild Name>
<Some Awesome Guild>

Dolby 03/29/14 04:46 PM

<Followers of Cairenn>

Cairenn 03/29/14 05:30 PM

No! No CFM either!

<Temporary Guild Name>

Seerah 03/29/14 07:05 PM

I still think we should have made CFM shirts.... /pout

:D

Cairenn 03/29/14 07:07 PM

Also no. Brat. :p

Cairenn 03/30/14 04:45 PM

Okay, I tried GetGuildName() when I first popped on to reserve my character names, and it won't let me use () so that one is out, at least in that iteration of it.

There have been a ton suggested at this point, do we have any favourites yet? In alphabetical order, here's what have been discussed so far. You'd think that out of 44 suggestions by now, we'd be able to pick one. ;)
  • AddOn Authors
  • Addon Devs Collective
  • Advanced Tech Pioneers
  • All Your Addons Are Belong To Us
  • Arcane Scribes
  • Arcane Scripters Guild
  • Author's Guild
  • Bloody Fingertips
  • Code Monkeys
  • Dwemeri Constructs
  • ESO Addon Authors
  • ESO UI Authors
  • ESOUI
  • For Coders in Pairs
  • GetGuildName() <- not possible in that iteration, no () allowed.
  • GetGuildName ~ without the ()
  • Guild Name Here
  • Insert Guild Name
  • Leading UI Authors
  • Learn to Update your Addons
  • Learn, Understand, Apply
  • Learning UI Addons
  • Learning User Addons
  • Level 11 Lua Skills
  • Local Function
  • Loves UI Addons
  • Loves UI Authors
  • Loves User Addons
  • Lua Developers
  • Lua Learning Luau
  • Lua Uber Allies
  • Lua Users Alliance
  • Nerf Baseballs
  • Nil
  • Some Awesome Guild
  • Table Dot Insert
  • Tamriel's Meta-Scribes ~ I am concerned about it maybe not feeling inclusive for any and all. Personal opinion only.
  • Temporary Guild Name
  • The Lua Knights Who Say Vim
  • Tinkerer's Guild
  • Tinkerer's Union
  • TopLevelControl
  • ZO_MCP ~ Concerns that other players will think we're ZO employees, that ZO will think we're trying to impersonate them.

skyraker 03/30/14 05:08 PM

In my opinion, I would want something that we addon authors understand, but not be blatant about what the guild is. So to me, 'AddOn Authors' would be out but tongue in cheek names like 'Bloody Fingertips' would be in.

Seerah 03/30/14 07:51 PM

• Addon Devs Collective
  • All Your Addons Are Belong To Us
  • Arcane Scripters Guild
  • Code Monkeys
  • For Coders in Pairs
  • GetGuildName ~ without the ()
  • Local Function
  • Lua Users Alliance
  • Table Dot Insert
  • TopLevelControl

Narrowed down to my preferences.

Cairenn 03/30/14 09:41 PM

Okay guys, making an executive decision here (partly). With input from others, I've cut the list down to 15 suggested names. I'm going to create a poll with the 15 options, let everyone vote on it. I'll give it a week, then we'll go with whichever one wins. I'll set it up with a temporary name for now, gonna run with Arcane Scripters Guild until we decide on a final. See you guys in game! :)

Link to poll.

Also, send me a tell in-game or pop into the IRC channel for guild invites - @Cairenn