View Single Post
09/07/14, 12:16 PM   #12
Sasky
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Perhaps it would help if there was an easy mechanism to push the site beta releases to a larger subset (via opt-in, of course) through Minion. There is an option to upload a beta version to the site, but it's hidden away from users and goes through a manual install.

Most addon authors have had significant bugs in a release that they then immediately fix. Changing that much code (without some sort of automated unit/integration testing with high coverage) will introduce bugs. I think most people are much happier with the quick response to fix them, even if it does send extra emails.

You do have options to reduce your own annoyance level, rather than asking Wykkyd to hold off bugfixes/releases. Throw a filter on those emails and run them into a folder. You can probably use something like "If this then that" (ifttt.com) to create daily or weekly digests. Or turn off email notifications and just check periodically with Minion (what I personally do, often on the timeframe of 3-4 days).

Originally Posted by Mithoron View Post
It is funny that I am called the troll when I have been the only constructive criticism in the thread, so I am done with it...Cairenn, feel free to lock this, as I'm sure nothing more positive will come out of this, everybody's gut instinct is to go on the defensive with caustic comments....
Frankly it isn't very constructive. You're essentially telling Wykkyd to "find all your bugs before general release" or "hold off on your bugfixes so you don't spam release notifications". As you can see from his comment, he did do limited testing first, more than most authors. So, holding the fixes just so some people would get fewer notifications (that they opted in to get) is a bit petty.