View Single Post
04/19/15, 01:54 PM   #1
Arkadius
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Questions about LibGuildHistory

Hi folks

I've recently written a small addon that reads and stores general and bank events from guild histories. I know, LibGuildHistory was written for this purpose and to ensure compatibility between such addons.

Now, i decided to NOT use this lib because it doesn't offer the possibility to just return events newer than X. It always reads and returns ALL data from a given category. Considering general guild events go back 6 months, it will always take several minutes to read 5 full guilds (at a scan interval of 6 seconds to prevent server spam, if addons like Shopkeeper or Master Merchant are installed)

I've contacted mattmillus, the author of the lib, and asked him if he could extend the lib by such a feature, but I don't really expect an answer as it looks like he's quite inactive.

So, I thought about taking the code of the lib, extending it, and releasing it under something like "LibGuildHistoryExtended". But before going this step, I'd like to know a few things before:

1. Am I allowed to do this at all? Without the permission of the author? As far as I know, I'm not allowed to redistribute a modified version of the lib. But what about a redistribution under a new name (but with giving credit ofc)?

2. I know, Shopkeeper uses the lib while Master Merchant doesnt (those two addons are the only ones I know that read guild (sales) histories). So this question is more directed to Deome and Philgo68. Would you consider using this extended lib? I mean, there's no point for a compatibility lib, if addons aren't using it, right?

Edit:
I also want to note that there's a bug in the current implementation, that makes the lib unreliable when 2 or more addons use the same category.

Thanks for reading!
Arkadius

Last edited by Arkadius : 04/19/15 at 04:40 PM.