View Single Post
01/23/16, 03:47 AM   #17
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by BornDownUnder View Post
Unfortunately I think implementing a scoring system would almost guarantee destruction of the current population that uses the group finder tool, at this point in time.
It's hard to say how or if it will impact the population of the group finder unless you try it. At least it would solve the problem of people getting kicked for low dps, because players that care about things like that will usually be in the upper ranks and only get grouped with other players that have a similar mindset, or can meet their expectations. The lower ranks probably won't care that much anyways.
One thing that may pose a problem is that groups in the lower ranks may simply not have the power to finish a veteran dungeon if they only get low performing players. So it will certainly be necessary to have a healthy mix of mid and low ranking players to avoid that.

Originally Posted by BornDownUnder View Post
I think this is quite possible, the down-side is players giving up on using the text-based note system and then the group finder tool in general as a result of so many other players posting for the similar type of run (If not the exact same run)
I don't believe that anyone would give up on the group finder if it becomes a proper replacement for chat based group finding.
The problem you are talking about is also unlikely to happen, as there will always be a lot more players looking for a group than opening a group and in case they run low on lfg players, the system could just match multiple lfm players together if they are looking for the same activity after some time has passed and lfg players can also be matched together like in the current system where everyone is basically handled as a lfg player. It's just a matter of how the interface is designed.

In my opinion, the current concept will never really take off unless the needs of the players are taken into account. It's a typical case of designing away from the desire line:

For example there is no way to tell the group finder that I want to do both undaunted dailys and it is up to chance that I get matched into a group like that. It's just much simpler and faster to ask in chat "LFG v16 dd daily gold+silver". Until this kind of query can be put into the group finder, chat based group finding will always stay the preferred way even with the upcoming incentives.