View Single Post
02/23/16, 04:27 AM   #12
dopiate
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by votan View Post
I can understand Wandamey's concerns, that this program may introduces wrong expectations to some users. Writing comments like this: "I upgraded your addon and still getting errors. This addon is ... "
But it won't unless the author opts in.

I'm an author too and I don't want anyone changing my stuff without me giving an OK.

But we should not forget why dopiate wrote Fast API:
At best ZOS would handle manifests with multiple APIVersion-TAG numbers correctly, not marking them as "out-dated", if one of the given numbers matches the current API.
At second best Minion would adjust the manifest based on the compatibility checklist maintained here at esoui. As it is an extra, external program already.
Only at third best Fast API does what the others should have done already.
FastAPI will read the live game manifest and know what API is being used.

So you can go from "out of date" to "up to date" the moment the patch comes out if the author knows the addon is ready. You would not even have to rush to release a "new version".

It also helps devs swap from PTS <-> live.

I think, its ok as long as the user is always aware, that it is done "at own risk", if the addon is not explicitly marked as compatible.

/edit 1: And Wandamey is right: As long as ZOS does not handle multiple APIVersions, the authors still have to release a "hybrid" and a "up-to-date" version, because not everybody will use Minion or Fast API.
I agree on both points, this is both for the user and authors. Protections will be built in. Not every user will use it, obviously and not all devs, but I got a list already who do want to use it. I have a list from last path and it was 100% successful - and that version was command line only.

I'll be at work today so I can show you what it looks like now - I put it on hold for a few months but I think it's time to finish it.

-d

Last edited by dopiate : 02/23/16 at 04:33 AM.