View Single Post
06/19/17, 11:56 AM   #12
Jizargo
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Letho View Post
Call me paranoid, but I got educated playing a specific Blizzard game and their policy was clear:
lua addons = safe no matter what they do,
other files, especially executables = ban.
And I know ppl have been banned for using ENB (or was it SweetFX?) for just a graphical overhaul. Of course ZOS is not Blizzard, but as I said: My account has far too much time in it to risk even the slightest thing. I am NOT TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITABILITY, I am talking of developer's potential narrow-mindedness towards that subject, that I have experienced in the past, althought in another game, just a PERSONAL risk-reward calculation.

I am not trying anything here but stating a PERSONAL! oppinion. Pressuring ppl to do sth. requires power - power that I do not have, as I am just an ordinary author here.

That's a good point, yes.

As stated before, Dolby and Cairenn are the ones to decide on your subject, all other ppl can only offer their oppinions on this subject.
I know your pain...

I play a small community based Third/Tactical person shooter. I've been banned about 3 times for "cheating" because the staff doesn't like how I play the game. I refuted everything they banned me for but the basic reason was, "It's unfair to play against me" which was warranted by "He's too good".

So believe me, I understand the excessive force used by game studios. However I can assure you ZOS has taken precautions to prevent exploits and have understandably allowed Reshade/Hook64 without any problems.

After having use reshade and hook64 for over 3 years now, I personally promise it's fine. My guild mates were banned because they used hook64 in cyrodill back during launch before ZOS removed distant char rendering. Back then we knew it was safe to play the PvE zones but PVP you could get banned. The guy who was banned immediately got unbanned, and ZOS used the information we gave them to fix the unintentional exploit, so we can now all use it in PVP no problem.

I too was worried about the nature of these files being hosted on ESOUI, however staff here were much more reasonable than I had anticipated. I'm willing to do anything to prove the files provided are not malicious (I'll even reverse engineer them and figure out whats going on, Reshade is open source and I've tried making my own pull) and the exploits that could of been done (during 2014) has been patched, and confirmed ZOS wont ban people for using these things.

Edit: I have to mention this.... ZOS has the best anti-cheat measures in any MMO I've ever played period. So if this was in anyway an exploit anymore, I garuntee you I and many others would of been getting banned a long time ago, and ZOS would of made a public statement on not using hook64 or reshade.

Last edited by Jizargo : 06/19/17 at 11:59 AM.