View Single Post
10/28/22, 03:19 AM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Since 2012 either here or on the Nexus. To add to that though, I am old. When I was in school if you failed a test you got an F. These days schools give people stickers and tell them nice try. When a High School student can't graduate they just lower the amount of credits so they aren't in school in their 20s.

I am sorry but I am a big Lewis Black and George Carlin fan because I'm old. Older people like myself just feel the younger generation should know better or at least put a little more thought into it. Critical thinking should be encouraged.
To add to this: imo it's not only the younger generation but all kinds of humans acting like this. Some are polite and even do their homework before (but do not tell us), others don't (and unfortunately it's like "most don't" from personal experience, as it is easier to ask and let others do their work...).
Instead of reading up in advance it will be asked the same again and again, which really can get frustrating for the fews trying to help.

People don't read sticky posts
Yeah and often they do not even try to... You wouldn't believe how many just register at a forum to post their question.

There should not be the need to link prewritten posts by 3rds again and again.
There should be the need to inform yourself in advance and tell the ones you ask WHAT you had read WHERE already, so the 3rds trying to help know you did that already!
And if they do they keep that secret for themselves so you ask them to do, and will get an angry answer that they did that already (sorry, our mind reading skills lack experience).

This would be the best way to start and to ease the communication. If done, there woulnd't be so many annoyed answers anymore
*dreaming of a world...*

Back to topic:
The map ping feature within ESO can only send small amount of data, like your position, your ultimate value.
If it would like to it could also collect your current currency information, your mail info (if the mail panel was opened before at least once), your chat text, and other data and send it to others. Depends on what the author in the addon wants to achieve
But as described before: Only small amount of data can be shared, no whole text history, just like 1 very short sentence...

So it's not totally save if you do not read the code and see what is done. Using addons is always your own responsibility, there is noone who checks all addons' code for you!

If you fear some data within ESO would be shared to others, please do not us those addons which share data.
But the ones I know do not share any currencies etc. so this was just an example. They share what they write in their description: Ultimate values, positions in group, dmg and heal values for statistics.

Last edited by Baertram : 10/28/22 at 05:18 AM.