Thread: Addon Etiquette
View Single Post
04/20/14, 04:56 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Joviex View Post
Dont think anyone said because of their day job they should get paid. I know I said my day job is engineering, and I DO get paid but that I didnt pick up the game to play engineer =)
I think you need to re-read what I wrote if you think that is what I was saying.

Just saying having some reduced entry points, like shared code/libs, would go a long way to rapid development versus writting the same code over and over and over and over.... that everyone else is doing.

Which I think when you do that, from my experience as an engineer (20 years), it is always better to have a set way of doing things.
We do already have libs created for this purpose. If you are writing an addon, and the code you are putting in there makes you think "hmm... I can think of 10 different addons that could use this, too." then turn it into a library. If that doesn't occur to you, or if the idea of writing a library is a little scary, then it's not really a big deal. My system has 8GB of RAM. A miniscule performance boost is not going to be noticed.

If you're talking about ways to write code as in templates for authors to use, that is free for anyone to put up onto the wiki.

Totally agree. Except it is not about white space adding "space".

It makes kdiff(s) or any diff(s) run better without a lot of false positives on changesets. And when I say white space, I mean white space like a line with nothing but a tabspace on it, or 10+ spaces at the end of a code line.

True white space, not indented, or purposeful whitespace.
I use Notepad++. It auto-indents new lines according to what is above it. If I have a blank line with a tab in it, that's because it was put there by the program, not me. This is probably the case with 95% of what you see out there.

I know, not everyone uses a repository to push changes; again, I do, so probably selfish, but my preference is to simply have "smart" commits with actual changes to code versus a bunch of changesets that were zero merges except white space.
I do use a repository. I also don't make a commit if nothing was actually changed. I certainly don't *push* a commit for users to download without some reason to increment the version number or put in the changelog. Our SVN and git repositories on this site also allow you to view diffs without having to download the changes.

I dont think anything is "throw all your toys on the ground go home" just some thoughts on having a cleaner, potentially faster development environment for some.
Of course. My goal, as a teacher, is to help people learn and see things from all sides. If someone has templates to copy from or libraries to use for most everything, they won't actually learn about what they're dong. They have an upside and a downside. I (and others) always encourage new authors to stay away from libraries/frameworks when first learning how to make addons. This way, they only have to learn one API and they learn how things work and why.