Thread: Addon Etiquette
View Single Post
04/22/14, 11:59 AM   #31
Vicster0

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Stormknight View Post
Agreed, this saves me loads of time and should be enough incentive for any author to want to work in this manner.

Another one to add in here is slash commands.

I ran into this recently when I (as others have mentioned) was mashing code together quickly to get my first addon working. Awesome Info. As part of this, I created a slash command of /ai

Seemed reasonable at the time, then later other authors created addons with the same two letter slash command and suddenly there was an issue. AutoInvite is one.

I changed my slash command to something longer as I was only using it during debugging anyway.

So .... worth adding a reference page on the Wiki for slash commands and another for global namespace?

I don't know whether enough authors would check it to make it worthwhile is the problem.
This is exactly how it happens! I am currently using two slash commands for both of my addons but you are entirely right, the shorter ones probably just need to go away... Two letters is far too common and can/will cause future problems with other addons, INCLUDING your own!! LOL

I'm glad you brought this up though, I will make a note for that to be one thing to fix in this major version of InventoryInsight I'm working on right now.

Originally Posted by ins View Post
I admitted defeat and redid the whole addon (the messiest one), as it was easier to write it from the ground up than fix a mess.

Only 4 more to go.

Edit:
Hot off the trail of the global/local talk.

Just had my first bug report as a bank addon and mine both had the same "function commandHandler "
Which apparently led to some issues when the user typed /mb to see commands in the other addon, and got for one of my first ****ty ones.

Did a quick fix to local everything, and moving functions around so they are reffering to each other in the right sequence (of code) and now I think that problem is out of the way.

Really really need to do a rewrite though.
Dude, that's funny. I want everyone to consider what was said here for a second... ESO has been live for a very short time and technically there are only a handful of addons for this game's UI at this time (compared to say WoW). With that being said, there are ALREADY overlap issues occurring. Even with addons from the same author!!

Better the mistakes be caught now and learned than to avalanche into the future. Thanks for sharing that with us Ins!