Thread: Addon Etiquette
View Single Post
04/22/14, 07:30 PM   #38
Vicster0

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
/edit: oh yeah - and you can have more than one slash command for your addon. Just have them point to the same function. Leave the short one in as a shortcut if a user doesn't have another addon installed with the same command.
Oh yeah, you definitely can. However, I think I will be removing mine... I guess the thing here is, the entropy when you are dealing with 2-3 characters isn't much and EVENTUALLY someone is going to use the same shorthand slash command. (As in Stormknight's case for instance.) If your addon's default slash command is pretty long then maybe having a alternate with 6 or so characters would be nice and reasonable less dangerous due to the increased entropy. However, I think in some cases, likely frequent, shortening to 6 characters is really not that much better than the default. :P

Plus, I'm just saying, slash commands are kind old school... Maybe for backend dev/qa but for prod? I dunno.. lol LibAddonMenu is pretty freakin' simple...

And that's coming from someone who spends the better portion of his day in a CLI...