View Single Post
03/09/14, 07:26 AM   #8
Vuelhering
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Ark View Post
I think that is a little lame. Really, sorry, but some of the fun of this game is to be able to chose the target yourself.
Originally Posted by Lodur View Post
If an addon has the potential to destroy, exploit, ruin, etc.. the game then it is our responsibility to bring it forward and inform Zenimax. ... But helping makes sure the API is a good API via feedback is just as important.
That's beside the point. As you can see, there's no exploit or destruction. Ark made a judgment call stating "I don't like that", not "That will ruin/exploit/destroy the game".

I intentionally left out a comment in my post about obvious stuff like not coding spamming modules and such, because I figured it wouldn't be necessary to differentiate between harmful addons and those that are just a judgment call. I don't happen to like addons that give scrolling combat text or numbers in the healthbars. It ruins my own immersion, but you don't see me complaining because I have no basis for claiming they ruin the game. Some people love it, and if I do raids, I'll probably install one.

I want to play a fun and competitive game. And in PvP I want to play player vs player, not addon vs addon.
That is largely a pipe dream, but even the most addon-intensive player will still get beaten by a better player. But it will give an edge to those around the same level, and it will give an edge to teams who use addons to coordinate. The only way that wouldn't happen is if addons were turned off by ZO while in pvp zones. What you want, and what you will get are different things, so get those complaints into ZO now because those addons will exist.

On a completely different note: as the OP of this thread I have had my original question answer by Atropos in his twitch stream. Currently is not possible to do custom name plates over enemies' heads on the screen.
Actually, that's a bummer. That means there are no hooks into the nameplates which would've been nice for all sorts of reasons unrelated to breaking the game, and that means someone would have to try to do it manually. And manually would be a pain. I haven't even checked if that's possible to get other player's positions and your own camera angle in order to fake nameplates over people.