View Single Post
04/20/14, 11:46 PM   #1
mikethecoder4
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Detecting Deaths

Hey there. New to Addon creating, but not to LUA or programming in general. So i had a question that I havent been able to find an answer for through research and searches. Im basically trying to make an addon that will tell me if I get a player kill or not. To start, i decided to try to make it detect when I kill anything. When I was testing on my low level character, I got it to count my kills on NPCs successfully by registering the EVENT_UNIT_DEATH_STATE_CHANGED event. However, when I went to test this on my main character in Cyrodil, killing NPCs and other mobs didnt increase the counter at all. I checked the event log using the zgoo addon (which is how i found out about the death state changed event above) and that event doesnt seem to be firing. In fact, I cant seem to find any event that happens when something does (to signify the death event I mean. of course theres xp and a bunch of other events)

Is there any way to reliably test for deaths or hook an event to them? Also is there a way to tell if they are player deaths or not?

Here is my Lua code in case its necessary
Code:
local counter = 0

function MyFirstAddOnUpdate()
    KillCounter_Kills:SetText(string.format("Kills: %d", counter))
end

function OnKill(eventCode, arg1, arg2)
    --print the inviter's name to chat
    counter = counter + 1
    d(arg1)
    d(arg2)
end

function OnInitialized(self)
    --Register on the top level control...
    EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("KillCounter", EVENT_UNIT_DEATH_STATE_CHANGED, OnKill)

SLASH_COMMANDS["/kcreset"] = function (extra)
 		-- reset counter
  		counter = 0
	end
end