Thread: Censorship
View Single Post
07/31/17, 07:00 AM   #8
Sordrak

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Authors can delete comments on their own AddOns, they can't delete posts in our forums. Maybe I should at least put up a sign if an Author chooses to delete a comment saying the Author has deleted comments.

I havent recieved any info on copied code from other addons, I've looked at the source of the exe and it doesn't do anything malicious that I can tell. However maybe a thread should be created in "General Authoring Discussion" if more people want to discuss this AddOn and have concerns? I'll certainly keep it open as long as the majority of posters to the thread stay civil.
Hi Dolby,

Didn't I send the link to the thread in the official forum?
Well, you might read the following comment in that case:
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...omment_4359485

Eloheynu wrote: »
I did, however, use the TTC serializer that Steven Chen wrote. I gave him credit in my addon info page for that part.
I still can't find a single word on your addon page about credits. And also the serializer is NOT the only thing you copied from TTC.

here is a list of your files in Git

Constants.cs (direct copied from TTC, you can even find the commented out PriceTable related lines, file name is the same too)
ESOBidEntry.cs (Original since TTC doesn't have it)
ESOFilledOrderEntry.cs (Original since TTC doesn't have it)
ESOItem.cs (copied from TTC with some modification, file name is the same too)
ESOTradeAsset.cs (copied from TTC with some modification, file name is the same too)
ESOTradeEntry.cs (copied from TTC with some modification, file name is the same too)
ESOTradeInfo.cs (Original since TTC doesn't have it)
HTTPService.cs (direct copied from TTC with no modification)
PostTradeResult.cs (direct copied from TTC with no modification)
RequestResult.cs (direct copied from TTC with no modification)
ServerRegion.cs (direct copied from TTC with no modification)
Util.cs (copied from TTC with just a bit modification, file name is the same too)
WebClientEx.cs (direct copied from TTC with no modification)
Form1.cs (copied from TTC, anything has to do with parsing and uploading are direct copy. You can even find the method for updating TTC's price table in it)
Eloheynu wrote: »
I debated writing my own, but I decided to package the beta up and send a PM to him to see if he approves. Haven't heard back yet
You sent the PM after Phil posted negative feedback on the forum, NOT before or shortly after you package the beta up. To be honest you have plenty of time to ask for permissions during your development but you never done so. beta is never an excuse for cribbing other people's work (and even worse, 0 credit for it).

Nirn auction house is not the first addon that uses TTC's material. But the main difference is, all other authors asked for my permission and I gave permission to all of them. I even told them how to use it and what to watch out for.

Claiming something like this is original doesn't look right to me. And the attitude is what makes me angry.
The author's response:
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...omment_4360439

@cyx54tc
No TOS is present or needed to be accepted when you use minion to download and run your plugin. Sorry if you think that protects your small enterprise and its private code from anyone else that's interested in making mods for ESO. And again my intention was never to copy your code. I did use general naming conventions, but generally, it's nice when a community standardize things. When new authors want to build addon's it's easy to integrate together.

I'm almost done rewriting everything in the library. Just doing some final testing before I release a new beta version with many optimization already and improvements. The code will be up soon to view open source.

-Elo
So, yes. The code simply has been taken. As far as I remember there are other accusations that code of other addons have been abused. Obviously, you can't find the TTC author's comment in the NAH comment section. Guess what... it has been deleted. You don't see any issues here?

I'm sorry, but I do not consider such an author as trustworthy who should throw around with exe files. And exactly such critique should be part of an addon's comment section or maybe as a bold red warning...

Back to your source code review:
-Do you agree that it simply doesn't matter what is present on github? What matters is what the binary file does and you have no idea what it does before decompiling / reverse engineer it. I really doubt at that point that the admins are doing this with every single release of the addon.
-So you consider it not malicious when an addon (respectively the exe) is capable of writing new lua code that hasn't been there before? You have no idea what will be written as it is under full control of the author's server.
See: https://github.com/evan-sctg/NirnAuc...uctionHouse.cs
Just as an example:
this.TradeListPath = Path.Combine(this.AddonDirectory, "Trades.lua");
this.BidListPath = Path.Combine(this.AddonDirectory, "Bids.lua");
this.TrackedBidListPath = Path.Combine(this.AddonDirectory, "Tracked.lua");
{
using (WebClient client = new WebClient()) {
string TradeListContent = client.DownloadString(this.APIEndpoint + "/proc/tradelist");
File.WriteAllText(this.TradeListPath, TradeListContent);
}
string BidListContent = client.DownloadString(this.APIEndpoint + "/proc/bidlist/" + ActiveAccount);
File.WriteAllText(this.BidListPath, BidListContent);
string TrackedBidListContent = client.DownloadString(this.APIEndpoint + "/proc/mybidlist/" + ActiveAccount);
File.WriteAllText(this.TrackedBidListPath, TrackedBidListContent);
If you take a look at the server's response:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Length: 17745

function NirnAuctionHouse:LoadTrades()
end
But you might be right, a new thread might be good for this, if people want to discuss further on this instead on the issue regarding censorship.

edit: typos

Last edited by Sordrak : 07/31/17 at 07:17 AM.