Thread: Censorship
View Single Post
07/31/17, 01:48 PM   #15
Ayantir

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I do agree that a warning on addons with an embedded binary and not yet tagged as "popular" per example will not be too much.

After if .exe can lead to way worse things than the sandboxed lua environnement build by zos from a dev point of view, addons can (woops) delete your items and from a user point of view it could be worse than a system reinstall or worse, include some malicious library (follow me )

For dev reputation.. it'll maybe be a bit too much, as this process should be automatized.
Don't forget that a warning could lead to less downloads which is not a good thing too.

PS: I had spoken of a kind of convention / good practices when releasing addons, it has always being something in my mind, but we could do something (whith some external input) in order to give a nice message when creating a new addon.

PPS: I do agree that lua code downloaded from webserver is.. a newbie error. I don't want to blame our latest week-end coder but helping everyone and help them to understand why it's bad.

By the way if he wants to talk to some objective folks already considered as tyrants and evil coders, there is gitter