View Single Post
11/27/23, 06:07 AM   #11
Sharlikran

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Beartram as I have tried to explain to WolfStark LibQuestData is only used by QuestMap and Destinations that I am aware of. I know you use Destinations but I don't think you use Bandits UI or a controller.

Users I have been helping recently like iccohen and SoSparkly from a guild I am in and a few others were reporting issues that could not happen in the first place.

Iccohen had an error on a line where the code was "end" and SoSparkly had an issue with AGS that made the screen go blank and the menu no longer appeared. As I have stressed with WolfStark these users did not need the mod author to make any code changes to the mods themselves. None of the mods were malfunctioning. With the exception of iccohen who had an outdated version of BugCatcher with LibAddonMenu 1.0 loading via LibStub.

WolfStark could have other issues because he switches back and forth between Gamepad and Keyboard. As you and I both know there will be Lua errors because most mods don't support Gamepad mode. Most authors don't add code to prevent the Lua errors even if that means the mod doesn't function while Gamepad mode is active.

WolfStark is trying to politely report an error and feels that "I", "the creator" should be aware of it and he is just trying to find a way to keep using the quest mod because he enjoys the mod. He simply doesn't want the skill bar to jump to the center of the screen. Which would never happen with QuestMap, Destinations, or LibQuestData because they don't alter anything about the skills bar or its position.

User Perception

The obstacle is that users usually feel since they disabled the library and that resolved the issue it has to be the cause and if they provide information the author can fix the code. They feel that since they are not mod authors and don't write code they are just doing their best and asking for help from other people. I can sympathize with that.

What they don't understand is that most issues happen because of OneDrive, LibStub, and embedded libraries causing all sorts of conflicts. In addition to that users install mods like BugCatcher and BugEater and feel that because no Lua errors show up and the game works that everything is okay when those mods just hide the errors and conflicts. If that's not the case then it's mods that really are not supported for users switching between Keyboard and Gamepad mode.

I wish I could help users understand that there is no simple way to address each user’s unique issues because each user will have a different situation. Unfortunately there are no self help posts or videos that will directly and easily address any issue in a way they expect.

StickyPosts for Addon Help

Sure they can read the sticky posts but again they want a simple direct and easy to understand solution to their individual issue which they feel is unique to them and not addressed in any of the sticky posts. I understand their frustration but they need to understand that there is no one post or simple solution. They have to read and try things and use self help documents and it could take hours or days for them to do.

WolfStark could read all those sticky posts but it's much easier to provide the LibDebugLogger link and the screenshot and see if there is anything that stands out. In the end there is no guarantee that the issue is something someone can spot in a forum.