06/16/24, 03:21 PM   #1
uhmorphous
File damaged on Minion download - macOS Sonoma

Hi,

It's been a while since I launched Minion, but today it wouldn't launch. Behavior hang > unresponsive > force quit.

I downloaded a new version from the Esoui website for macOS and upon launching, it stated the file was damaged with only option to move to trash.

I searched the forums to see if this might have already been answered and found none, but if I'm mistaken, I apologize for the oversight.

Thank you.
06/16/24, 03:23 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Read the sticky "troubleshooting guide" thread at the top of the forum you have posted in here please.
There is a section about Minion on MAC which exactly describes what is to do in your case, with the 1st sentence.

https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8082
-> Troubleshooting Minion on MAC:
06/16/24, 06:56 PM   #3
uhmorphous
Already did that, and of course tried right clicking on app before I even came into the forum. The link in the help article is a 404 error.

As mentioned previously, I had already spent over an hour combing through content before posting so as not to be redundant or irritating.

So yes. Issue persists.

Last edited by uhmorphous : 06/16/24 at 07:10 PM.
06/16/24, 07:05 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I've just took the text from the broken link and entered it at the search of the website of the link (how to geek):

Same results if I use google search and enter the error message:
2nd result is the link that was broken in the troubleshooting guide

I'm no MAC user but I hope this article helps you. Afaik that info is just miss leading and antivirus protection of MAC is causing this.
macOS takes an overzealous approach to security, with features like Gatekeeper attempting to limit software to the Mac App Store and System Integrity Protection preventing third-party apps from tampering with sensitive parts of the system or injecting code into Apple apps like Finder and Safari.

This quarantine process only applies to certain APP files that are contained within a ZIP archive that has been downloaded from the internet. Files that have been shared via a USB drive or local network location are not subject to the same protections

https://www.howtogeek.com/803598/app...ant-be-opened/
Will fix the link

Last edited by Baertram : 06/16/24 at 07:10 PM.
06/16/24, 07:33 PM   #5
uhmorphous
Thanks for fixing the link.

I don't run antivirus software on my Mac or any type of gatekeeping software other than what's embedded in the OS.

Already ran the terminal command with no result (no such file) x 5. x3 when dropping file into a new terminal window. Tried from a few different browsers and in a test admin user. Conducted other troubleshooting steps just in case; issue persists.

I've got a minor Sonoma update to run, and will try again after that's complete. Otherwise, I'm out of tricks right now.
06/17/24, 04:14 AM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
If it says "no such file" your file path and/or name were somehow wrong I assume?
Cuz it would not provide "any feedback" from terminal if the path was correct.

Not sure about Mac, but n Windows you sometimes have to add "path/filename with spaces here.txt" arround the totat file path and name, if there are e.g. spaces in the path/name

Code:
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine "/path/to/Minion3.0.12.dmg"
If that's still not working I'm out of ideas, as I said: Not using nor familiar with MacOS.
I can only say it worked for other ppl before but maybe Apple had made that "do not install anything else than Apple Store apps" checks even more strict meanwhile....

Edit:
Here is another approach how to be able to run such external apps:
if you use 1) below: Make sure to disable that "From everywhere" after installing Minion again! -> Not sure if this will block running Minion afterwards, you'd have to test. Maybe then 2) below is a better idea
https://appletoolbox.com/app-is-dama...be-opened-mac/

Code:
1) Navigate to System Preferences, select Security and Privacy, and go to General. Go to Allow apps downloaded from and select Anywhere. In other words, you’re allowing non-App Store apps to run on your machine.

2) As Alternative to 1

Coming as a bit of a surprise, Apple actually introduced another way for you to get apps working properly if you are seeing the “App Is Damaged and Cannot Be Opened” message. This arrived with the release of macOS Ventura and helps force your Mac to recognize and open apps even if it’s not possible to do so initially.

Open the System Settings app on your Mac.
In the sidebar on the left, scroll down and select Privacy & Security.
On the right side of the window, scroll down and click Developer Tools.

Click the Plus button.
Navigate to the folder where the “damaged” app is located.
Select the app from the list.
Click the Open button in the bottom right corner of the window.

Last edited by Baertram : 06/17/24 at 04:19 AM.
06/17/24, 06:58 AM   #7
uhmorphous
Thanks, Baertram.

Yup, the path was correct. I’m pretty comfortable with Terminal, so I tested with different paths and file types just to make sure. Having said that, if there’s some sort of file naming corruption going on, I’ll find and fix. If it’s something else, I’ll rinse and repeat until I find it.

Appreciate your willingness to help. I know Mac is a minor platform for Minion, so my expectations default is usually set to “low” when it comes to gaming support in any venue.
06/17/24, 07:13 AM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I'm just wondering why it blocks the file usage for you so badly.
I know that others use Macs and they had no trouble with it, afai was informed.

If that all fails you could try the Java version, should be running on Mac too.
Basically Minion is a java application and that dmg or exe just provide an included runtime environment for it (as far as I understood).
So running it directly on any installed JRE should work too.

It's described in the Minion troubleshooting guide.
06/17/24, 07:27 AM   #9
uhmorphous
Yeah this has been a bit weird. So, after the OS update, the system finally threw a message and I had to allow Terminal in P&S>App Mgmt to allow update/delete other apps. So, I think you're right. Just another hoop. I don't know if that extra step is new, or default was removed, or what, but it wasn't throwing that message before update (14.4.1 - 14.5).

I've never had an issue downloading from anywhere; bypassing was always easy if it was even necessary, so something's up.

Now, I'm able to launch but it quits out. So, I'll delete, redownload, reinstall, restart, and go from there.

Getting closer! lol

Okay, so did above, had to go through the same Terminal command to allow launch, which was followed by crash. Nothing in Console indicating the crash, so went into Analytics and found the process syspolicyd denial information, copied information below in case it's useful at all. I'll also throw this into a Mac forum or two to see if anything shakes loose about this.

______

Console Analytics Data

syspolicyd
Subsystem: com.apple.security.assessment.outcome2
Category: <Missing Description>
Activity ID: 0 Thread ID: 330

assessment denied for Minion3.0.12.dmg
com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.security.assessment.outcome2
com.apple.message.signature2: bundle:UNBUNDLED
com.apple.message.signature3: Minion3.0.12.dmg
com.apple.message.signature5: UNKNOWN
com.apple.message.signature4: 3
com.apple.message.signature: denied:no usable signature
SenderMachUUID: 35FA8BE5-6FC4-35E6-B23A-DD33131DE035

Last edited by uhmorphous : 06/17/24 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Providing more info
06/17/24, 08:33 AM   #10
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I guess it just says that teh file got no signature that Apple knows and allows.
I thought that would be fixed by using that terminal command xattr -d com.apple.quarantine to add it to the "allowed list" by removing it from the quarantine.

You could try this other terminal "hack" someone posted:
Code:
There’s another command that worked for many users but we’d strongly advise you to use it only as a last resort. 

The xattr -cr /path/application.app command lets you remove all your file or app attributes (metadata) leaving your Mac unable to assess if that file or app is stable or secure. 
So, do proceed at your own risk and only if you’re 100 percent sure the app you’re trying to launch is stable and secure.

For example, let’s say the problematic app is iTunes and it’s located in the Applications folder. You need to run this command: xattr -cr /Applications/iTunes.app.
06/17/24, 09:47 AM   #11
uhmorphous
I ran that and got around 240 permissions denials [Errno 13] including some blacklisted certs. All but three were Java PlugIns; two were the app contents related to macOS and libpackager; and one was the Minion.icns in the content resources, which is such a simple icon file... crazypants lol.

Wow. Well, I'm thinking I might just run the Java without the UI and take that one step at a time, since it'll be new, and new is fun so there ya have it.

Thanks again.

Last edited by uhmorphous : 06/17/24 at 09:58 AM.
06/17/24, 11:58 AM   #12
uhmorphous
In case anyone ever runs into any of these issues:

One more thing I did was to go back into

System Settings > Privacy & Security > Developer Tools

and added minion.app to that list, restarted, and issue persists. No error messages, just launch followed by crash that doesn't show up in crashlogs.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » File damaged on Minion download - macOS Sonoma