08/15/24, 07:34 AM   #1
roska
Question [Help] Addon Category

Hi there,

I came across "Addon Category" recently which looked promising to help me make my add-on list a bit more manageable and readable.

However, the in-game UI for managing the categories is extremely clunky and not super practical past a certain number of addons.

I thought myself clever and I thought I'd try to modify the saved variables file offline, as the syntax is easy enough to follow. Unfortunately, the changes I made there were not reflected in game, neither in the categories in the 'Addons' menu or in the settings GUI of Addon Categories.

Would anyone more knowledgable be able to have a look at the add-on, and explain to me what might be going on, or how I could approach this? I am unsure why SavedVars would be disregarded unless edited in the GUI, but I'm obviously missing a step somewhere.

Pastebin of edited saved variables here.

Thanks very much.
08/15/24, 12:40 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hint: SavedVars must be edited while youa re logged out.
If not it will overwrite from ingame tables (loaded from SV there on login/reload UI/zone change with loading screen) again.

So always logout, then change the SV.

But to tell the truth:
Why do you try to change the SV files?
I doubt changing the SV would reflect anything according to your needs cuz if so you could do that ingame in the addon's list yourself? Just edit the categories there?
Or isn't that possible?
Today, 05:25 AM   #3
roska
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Hint: SavedVars must be edited while youa re logged out.
If not it will overwrite from ingame tables (loaded from SV there on login/reload UI/zone change with loading screen) again.

So always logout, then change the SV.

But to tell the truth:
Why do you try to change the SV files?
I doubt changing the SV would reflect anything according to your needs cuz if so you could do that ingame in the addon's list yourself? Just edit the categories there?
Or isn't that possible?
Ah!! This makes sense, thank you.

As for why - as I said the process of modifying this stuff through the add-on in-game is super clunky unfortunately unless you only have a handful of add-ons. My add-on list grew very long and while modifying categories is ok enough, to add any given add-on to a category you have to scroll through them all via a dropdown (there's no search), and you have to repeat that for every one. And we know how ESO's scrolling is anyway.

Lots of text makes me miss stuff so for me it's also a situation of not just having to do it once, but then having to correct mistakes or start over. It just seemed a lot quicker and easier through Saved Vars.

I'll give it a try without being logged in next time :-)

Edit: ideally there'd be a checkbox interface similar to the brilliant Addon Selector! I think I even suggested something like that for AS before I found this add-on.

Last edited by roska : Today at 05:32 AM.
Today, 06:48 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I never used AddonCategory.
So there is a settings menu where you select the addons and move them to categories via a dropdown box?

Maybe one can replace those dropdowns by LibScrollableMenu somehow. This library can be put "on top" of some normal dropdown boxes so that you can use a scrollable box and add a header where you even got a search editbox (cenetr screen, the context menu popup shows it):

I never actually tried that. So no promises or deadline It would need an addon change to Addon Category's settings menu. But as I find the time I can have a look.

Edit:
After having a look at Addon Category's settings menu it provides some dropdowns to change the "order" of the categories.
So one could change thsoe dropdowns to use these LAM widget instead:
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...Boxwidget.html

I had created that widget to provide an easy drag&drop (and also using buttons to first, to previous, to next, to last) orderlist for LAM settings menus and it's basically what you ask for (except a search functionality which could be added to that widget).

It also provides a button to add a new entry or remove entries which would make the extra current buttons to add or remove categories obsolete too.
-> "All in 1" widget then: Add, remove, order

Only adding addons to the categories would be something that needs an additional UI would be something to add there, which could be assisted by LibScrollableMenu then.

So I'll have a look if changing AddonCategory settings to this widget helps.

Last edited by Baertram : Today at 08:06 AM.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » [Help] Addon Category