06/26/24, 06:49 PM   #1
tdc-nl
Request: dual mount notification

Ok so i got maybe a weird request but ill throw it out anyway hoping its possible (couldn't see in pinned message anything about this).

So what am i looking for. I play a lot with a guild member and we travel a lot on the dual mount.
Tough i am sometimes so blind (not literally but...) tgat i dont see correct if the extra player is on mount or left rhe mount (jumping off) to gather node in the world .

Is there a way to make a kind of notification message on screen as soon as a player mounts on your dual mount or leaves it?

I see a lit is possible with messages on screen... (example crutch alerts and for trials).
So i assume its a simple thing, but to be fair i am no programmer so no clue if it's possible .

Hoping someone is able to help me have a bit more pleasure playing with dual mount

If any more info is needed please ask,ill try to answer as best as i can.

Tldr:
Notitify big message on screen when other player enters+leaves dual mount.
06/26/24, 07:37 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I think that would be only possible if you play in a group, and even then both would need to have the same addon active so it can "communicate" via "group sending small data per map pings".

So no easy way to achieve this, no. Kind of a more coplex addon to create.
06/26/24, 08:16 PM   #3
sinnereso
there is EVENT_MOUNT_INFO_UPDATED in the latest API notes with no description. it is suspiciously possibly able to report personal mount changes but I haven't tested it yet to see what it does. If it does return changes to your mounts state it could be used to sound of an alert imo with a very tiny addon. I'll likely check this out soon as im interested ins soemthing like that as well. If it works ill make a standalone version that does just that or someone else can.

Last edited by sinnereso : 06/26/24 at 08:20 PM.
06/26/24, 08:40 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
That event EVENT_MOUNT_INFO_UPDATED does not return anything and got neither any parameters-
It's used at the stables to update your mount's data if you buy new bag space, mount speed or stamina.

https://github.com/esoui/esoui/blob/...anager.lua#L61
06/26/24, 09:11 PM   #5
sinnereso
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
That event EVENT_MOUNT_INFO_UPDATED does not return anything and got neither any parameters-
It's used at the stables to update your mount's data if you buy new bag space, mount speed or stamina.

https://github.com/esoui/esoui/blob/...anager.lua#L61
Damn I was hoping it might be useful
06/27/24, 12:20 AM   #6
tdc-nl
Hmmm
I was checking also through addons for if it was already made or something.
Then i saw "RidinDirty", that seems to have something to do with mounting to a players mount.

So me with my nubcake head went to download it and open the lua to see how and what (And trying to understand it....)
Cause it said it had a option to mount on a player their mount.
I almost dont understand anything of the code, except a few namings that seems to like to see if the "original" rider has a free spot or not.

But like i said, i have no clue how it all works and what is and isnt possible.
Thanks anyway for the reply!

-- I wanted to send a message to the addon maker of RidinDirty, but just saw the creator already posted here above so that would be no use to ask if the creator had a idea for it ^^*

*Also we always play in group if we are together

Last edited by tdc-nl : 06/27/24 at 01:28 AM.
06/27/24, 04:26 AM   #7
sinnereso
Originally Posted by tdc-nl View Post
Hmmm
I was checking also through addons for if it was already made or something.
Then i saw "RidinDirty", that seems to have something to do with mounting to a players mount.

So me with my nubcake head went to download it and open the lua to see how and what (And trying to understand it....)
Cause it said it had a option to mount on a player their mount.
I almost dont understand anything of the code, except a few namings that seems to like to see if the "original" rider has a free spot or not.

But like i said, i have no clue how it all works and what is and isnt possible.
Thanks anyway for the reply!

-- I wanted to send a message to the addon maker of RidinDirty, but just saw the creator already posted here above so that would be no use to ask if the creator had a idea for it ^^*

*Also we always play in group if we are together
Im the author of RidinDirty =p. Thats why I thought I'd peek into your request since I've done extensive dual mount related work but I'm not seeing as of yet any api function or event for your request. Not done looking yet though
06/27/24, 05:17 AM   #8
tdc-nl
yeah i saw
had typed out a long private message and was about to send it untill i recognized the name haha.
Well thanks anyway for looking into it I'll go look if i can request somewhere on their forum a api update or something
No clue if they will/can add it but always worth a shot i guess
06/27/24, 05:19 AM   #9
wookiefriseur

I don't have any dual mounts, so I can't test this. Just some thoughts:

1) periodically check "IsGroupMountPassenger" or "IsGroupMountPassengerForTarget" and show an alert, when it changes from true to false

2) periodically check the distance between you and the mounted group member (maybe "GetMapPlayerPosition", "IsUnitInGroupSupportRange" or hook into the out of reach visualisation on the group frames)

Not sure if those API functions work. The periodical part could be done once in a second and only while grouped and mounted on a dual mount, which shouldn't affect performance too much.
06/27/24, 06:22 AM   #10
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
There even exist other and better ways "in group" to detect the real distance to the group member (if on the same map/zone. For everything else wookifriseur already mentioned IsUnitInGroupSupportRange e.g.).

But as I said in my initial post: There won't be any easy way to create such an addon!
It would need either several libraries that handle that distance and other things (LibMap*), and/or data sharing in group (where both players need the same addon enabled) via LibGroupSocket e.g.
Plus checks for IsDead, IsMounted and and and

It should be possible to craete such an addon if you have the will and time, but I for myself will not do so as I'm lacking the time and won't create addons for 1 player only (no offense tdc-nl, but your usecase is kind of strange to me. Do you play in 1st person mode and cannot see the passenger behind you because of that? Then maybe use existing addons that change view of sight via a keybind shortly so you get to 3rd person and see if the pessenger is on your mount or not?).

If anyone else wants to create such an addon, feel free to spy my FCOAccessibility addon which does group member distance and position checks already.
But that was designed for visibly impaired players and thus only works in accessibility mode of ESO. Though the code should be the very same.
06/27/24, 06:37 AM   #11
sinnereso
i have managed to create my own distance check quite easily but I dont think he needs that.. If its ok with you guys i'll take on this project and make him a standalone version of ridindirty that does just that with a keybind for auto mounting group member in range since I already done all the work for this. Gimmie a day or two cuz I have RL things to tend to atm as well. I've been considering doing this already since it was the original primary function of ridindirty to begin with. I'll call it RidinDirty Lite or something

Last edited by sinnereso : 06/27/24 at 06:44 AM.
06/27/24, 06:57 AM   #12
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Well he was not asking for an automount in range addon, but for other features clearly described in his post?
Else I'd have recommanded him your blackbox addon already (not sure though if you can disable all the other non wanted features).

So if you just strip that feature out from RidinDirty it is not what he asked for I guess.
06/27/24, 07:19 AM   #13
sinnereso
Well he was not asking for an automount in range addon, but for other features clearly described in his post?
Else I'd have recommanded him your blackbox addon already (not sure though if you can disable all the other non wanted features).

So if you just strip that feature out from RidinDirty it is not what he asked for I guess.
Ive actually alread stripped it down leaving only the keybind to auto mount inrange, called it RidinDirtyLite and working on the sound option for him now.. The keybind is optional to use but during events or standing in 50 people is golden when u cant find your friend to hold F on and why I made it in the 1st place Its the perfect package imo.

Last edited by sinnereso : 06/27/24 at 07:22 AM.
06/27/24, 08:23 AM   #14
sinnereso
okm its ready for testing but maybe because its still early I'm unsuccessful at having it disable itself or not load if the main addon RidinDirty is present. They obviously cant run together so I'd like the lite version to just not load if RidinDirty is present.. Suggestions?

I did some googling but only came across disabling functions etc in that scenario which I've used myself but not sure on disabling the entire addon.

OK done some testing and appears to be working perfectly but I still need to have the Lite version not load if the main RidinDirty is enabled obviously because of the identicle keybind and will have same feature soon cuz its just kewl Once I get this I think its rdy for upload and he can give it a whirl.

Last edited by sinnereso : 06/27/24 at 08:34 AM.
06/27/24, 08:37 AM   #15
wookiefriseur

Your problem description does not match what tdc-nl was asking for, I think. But sure, go ahead. It makes sense to put it in your AddOn as it is already doing similar things.

Originally Posted by sinnereso View Post
okm its ready for testing but maybe because its still early I'm unsuccessful at having it disable itself or not load if the main addon RidinDirty is present. They obviously cant run together so I'd like the lite version to just not load if RidinDirty is present.. Suggestions

Maybe add RidinDirty as an optional dependency, that way you can be sure RidinDirty is loaded when you load the lite version. And in the lite version you can check if your AddOn tables or functions exist and only create them if they don't exist yet.
06/27/24, 08:41 AM   #16
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
1st
In RidinDirtyLite.txt add ## OptionalDependsOn: RidinDirty

That will make RidinDirty load first if present

2nd
Does your addon RidinDirty have a global variable like RidinDirty?
Then check in EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED callback of RidinDirtyLite:

Lua Code:
  1. local function onAddOnLoaded(eventId, addonNameCurrentlyLoaded)
  2.    --This will make it unload the load event and quit -> nothing loaded then
  3.    if RidinDirty  ~= nil then
  4.       EVENT_MANAGER:UnregisterForEvent("RidinDirtyLite", EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED)
  5.       return
  6.    end
  7.    If addonNameCurrentlyLoaded ~= "RidinDirtyLite" then return end
  9.    --Load your RidinDirtyLite events and code here
  10.    ---!!! Make sure to load ALL stuff needed in your EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED and not before or outside !!!
  11. end)

Or f there is no global like RidinDirty then check in your EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED callback of RidinDirtyLite

Lua Code:
  1. local function onAddOnLoaded(eventId, addonNameCurrentlyLoaded)
  2.    --This will make it unload the load event and quit -> nothing loaded then
  3.    if addonNameCurrentlyLoaded == "RidinDirty" then
  4.       EVENT_MANAGER:UnregisterForEvent("RidinDirtyLite", EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED)
  5.       return
  6.    else
  7.       If addonNameCurrentlyLoaded ~= "RidinDirtyLite" then return end
  8.    end
  10.    --Load your RidinDirtyLite events and code here
  11.    ---!!! Make sure to load ALL stuff needed in your EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED and not before or outside !!!
  12. end)
06/27/24, 08:42 AM   #17
sinnereso
Originally Posted by wookiefriseur View Post
Your problem description does not match what tdc-nl was asking for, I think. But sure, go ahead. It makes sense to put it in your AddOn as it is already doing similar things.

Maybe add RidinDirty as an optional dependency, that way you can be sure RidinDirty is loaded when you load the lite version. And in the lite version you can check if your AddOn tables or functions exist and only create them if they don't exist yet.
Its exactly what hes asking for.. Makes a sound and displays in chat when a group member gets ON and OFF your dual rider mount. It also includes the optional mount keybind with proper range check as this was something I was considering already.

What I'm asking for help with though is how do I have RidinDirtyLite not load if RidinDirty is an enabled addon? Because I intend to add this new functionality to the primary RidinDirty as well.

#EDIt after re-reading his request again I see he wanted a big ONSCREEN msg instead of just chat window which I can change easily if the chat window isnt enough. They can let us know here either way.

Last edited by sinnereso : 06/27/24 at 08:49 AM.
06/27/24, 09:02 AM   #18
sinnereso
I cant seem to get that to work but I also think you missunderstood the question. I dont want RidinDirty as a dependency for RidinDirtyLite.

What Id like to know is how do I make RidinDirtyLite NOT load if lets say your FCO addon is enabled for example? I used your FCO addon to eliminate any name confusion for this question

There are globals for each as follows:

Code:
RidinDirty = {
	name = "RidinDirty",
	author = "@sinnereso",
	version = "2024.06.27",
	svName = "RidinDirtyVars",
	svVersion = 1,
Code:
RidinDirtyLite = {
	name = "RidinDirtyLite",
	author = "@sinnereso",
	version = "2024.06.27",
	svName = "RidinDirtyLiteVars",
	svVersion = 1,
but this inside RidinDirtyLite isnt working as intended for me:
Code:
function RidinDirtyLite.AddOnLoaded(eventCode, addOnName)
	if RidinDirty ~= nil then EVENT_MANAGER:UnregisterForEvent("RidinDirtyLite", EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED) return end
	if addOnName ~= "RidinDirtyLite" then return end
	-- Keybindings --
	ZO_CreateStringId("SI_BINDING_NAME_MOUNT_PLAYER", "Mount Group Member")
	EVENT_MANAGER:UnregisterForEvent("RidinDirtyLite", EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED)
	RidinDirtyLite.Initialize()--<< INITIALIZE VARIABLES AND OPTIONS
end
the keybinding etc is still loading in RidinDirtyLite even when RidinDirty is enabled causing a conflic and error popup. Is there a way to entirely prevent anything RidinDirtyLite from loading if RidinDirty is present?

Last edited by sinnereso : 06/27/24 at 09:17 AM.
06/27/24, 09:22 AM   #19
tdc-nl
It should be possible to craete such an addon if you have the will and time, but I for myself will not do so as I'm lacking the time and won't create addons for 1 player only (no offense tdc-nl, but your usecase is kind of strange to me. Do you play in 1st person mode and cannot see the passenger behind you because of that? Then maybe use existing addons that change view of sight via a keybind shortly so you get to 3rd person and see if the pessenger is on your mount or not?).
No offense taken for sure! I understand, i was hoping it was quite a simple "solution"... well simple... i am just thinking to easy i think...
Yea sounds weird but erm how i explain this correct, have a sort of tunnel vision? Is that correct term, if to much happens or randomly changes or what so ever my mind goes a bit blank ^^
And ofcourse the other person has their own mount Can wobble behind me if needed but together is easier for both

Originally Posted by sinnereso View Post
okm its ready for testing but maybe because its still early I'm unsuccessful at having it disable itself or not load if the main addon RidinDirty is present. They obviously cant run together so I'd like the lite version to just not load if RidinDirty is present.. Suggestions?

I did some googling but only came across disabling functions etc in that scenario which I've used myself but not sure on disabling the entire addon.

OK done some testing and appears to be working perfectly but I still need to have the Lite version not load if the main RidinDirty is enabled obviously because of the identicle keybind and will have same feature soon cuz its just kewl Once I get this I think its rdy for upload and he can give it a whirl.
Ooohh im gonna look for it and test it when its ready Thanks so far! Really appreciate it!
Making my life a easier now on the game One less thing to focus on

Last edited by tdc-nl : 06/27/24 at 09:26 AM.
06/27/24, 09:27 AM   #20
sinnereso
Originally Posted by tdc-nl View Post
No offense taken for sure! I understand, i was hoping it was quite a simple "solution"... well simple... i am just thinking to easy i think...
Yea sounds weird but erm how i explain this correct, have a sort of tunnel vision? Is that correct term, if to much happens or randomly changes or what so ever my mind goes a bit blank ^^

Ooohh im gonna look for it and test it when its ready Thanks so far! Really appreciate it!
Making my life a easier now on the game One less thing to focus on
Ya np bro it was fairly simple I'm just trying to ensure compatibility with my primary addon is in place before I throw it up there. I did have a question though, is BIG ONSCREEN message & soound required for your needs or is chat output & sound enough?

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Request: dual mount notification