01/09/16, 02:31 PM   #1
vandel212
Export Data

Hi, I'm writing an addon that will export mail attachment data. I am at the point where I collect the information, but I have no idea how to export it to a text file or something that I can use outside of the game.

I was looking into using saved variables, but I don't like that I'm required to reload the UI if I want to see the data that was exported. Any help is greatly appreciated.
01/09/16, 02:34 PM   #2
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There is not really an alternative to using savedata. You could show it in a text box and copy it by hand, but that is limited to 1000 characters at a time.
01/09/16, 02:52 PM   #3
vandel212
I see

Oh I see. So with the saved variables thing, is there a way to make the addon dynamically create variable names based on a counter?

So you might have a counter "x = 1", then the variable name would be something like Item_x
01/09/16, 03:06 PM   #4
sirinsidiator

Sure. The save data is basically just a lua table. You can assign fields to the table like this:
Lua Code:
  1. for x = 1, 6 do
  2.   saveData["item_" .. x] = item
  3. end
01/09/16, 04:01 PM   #5
vandel212
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
Sure. The save data is basically just a lua table. You can assign fields to the table like this:
Lua Code:
  1. for x = 1, 6 do
  2.   saveData["item_" .. x] = item
  3. end
Ah sweet! That worked perfect. Last question: There a way to remove a saved variable via the addon?
01/09/16, 06:30 PM   #6
sirinsidiator

Don't think so. At least I don't know of one. The saved variable files are determined by the addon meta files, which you cannot touch from within the game. You could make a script or program that manages them from outside the game, but I don't think many users would like that.

You can overwrite it with an empty table though if you just want to erase the content.
edit: this is pretty much an answer to your other thread too, so I am not gonna post it twice.

Last edited by sirinsidiator : 01/09/16 at 06:33 PM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Export Data