Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
07/02/14, 04:24 AM   #1
zgrssd
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
planning "DisplayNameFix"

Garkin and farangkao found a way for addons to possibly solve the whole "DisplayName" issue temporarily.

Basically it invovles getting the proper Display Name from your first Guild (if you have any) or from your "remmber account name" setting on the Login Screen.
They have been thinking about just working that into their addons, but I think a proper seperate addon is better.
This allows users to explicitly make all the nessesary work, and gives us one place to blank out the code once it works properly again.

Requirements to use this:
Before starting with this addon on, you must restructure your saved var files according. (basically the counter to what you do here). Otherwise you end up restting your data again.
As long as you use it, you must either be in at least 1 Guild or have checked the "rememebr account name" Checkbox on the login page.

Problems to think about:
1. If you need the display name before the OnLoadeed event, you have to add this addons as optional Dependency to your addon manifest. But those cases should be rare.
2. We need to check if the current version of GetDispalyName() is working properly (not returning nil or ""). If it does, no work has to be done.
3. We need to check if the name was successfully retreived either from the Guilds or from the CVars. If not, we best just return the result of the original GetDisplayName()

Code is following soon. And I wait for full peer review on my code before I throw out something as dangerous as this.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » planning "DisplayNameFix"