05/21/24, 09:02 PM   #1
playstyle
Update does not update TXT file

I could not find anything about this specific problem.

When updating addons Minion updates all the .lua files just fine. But it never updates the .txt file of the addon.
I have to delete the addons and reinstall them (almost) every time there is an update.

At least the author of Code's Combat Alerts seems to be aware of this, the addon has a function that checks for version mismatches.

Could anyone please point me to a discussion about this problem, or - even better - a solution?

Thanks.

Last edited by playstyle : 05/21/24 at 11:52 PM.
05/22/24, 08:11 AM   #2
wookiefriseur

Never had that problem and not aware of it.

Maybe some permission issue or the file being in use?

txt is something that might be automatically locked if file content indexing is enabled, especially if connected to some kind of cloud stuff. Try to remove the AddOn path from your operating systems indexing and disable any cloud stuff in that directoy.

If it's Windows, you can type "indexing" in the start menu and look at the settings.
05/22/24, 09:29 AM   #3
playstyle
Thanks for the reply.

The addon folder is not connected to a cloud. I removed the documents path from the indexing and added an exception just to be sure.

I'll check if that did something the next time an update is available.
05/22/24, 03:02 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Do you use Avast Antivirus?

It got a module ransomware protection which blocks access to your users documents folder, especially txt and other document types like doc, docx etc.
It was designed to block changes from external software to these files, so you will often experience the case that files are not updated properly unless you explicitly allow software (like MS word, excel etc.) access to that folders -> via Whitelist/allowed apps/allowed folders/exclusion list.

Add a whitelist to the "/users/.../documents/elder scrolls online/live" folder, and subfolders, to exclude those from the protection.

I bet other Antivirus tools handle it similar, so it's not only Avast. But about Avast I know it in detail and that this Ransomware module can be very restrictive to protect your files.

Last edited by Baertram : 05/23/24 at 01:58 AM.
05/22/24, 08:35 PM   #5
playstyle
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Do you use Avast Antivirus?
I do indeed. Added the path to the whitelist.
Thanks.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Add a whitelist to the "/users/.../documents/elder scrolls online/live" folder, and subfolders, to exclude those from the protection.
Adding the folder to the whitelist was not enough it seems. But there was also an option to whitelist programs. I did that and it seems to work again.

Thanks, Baertram.

Last edited by playstyle : 05/25/24 at 01:51 AM.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Update does not update TXT file