06/04/24, 08:57 AM   #1
KillerKitty
Exclamation Minion sadly wont start anymore

Greetings,

first of all: thank you for all the support you give people here

I wanted to update my ESO addons (like many other users I guess) and the minion said that it couldn't connect to the internet. So I informed myself and uninstalled it to update it to a new version. Since then, my Minion has been dead

I read the sticky post about troubleshooting, implemented/tried out some of the points and also googled whether I could find help somewhere.

I have now tried the 32- and 64-bit versions, put it on the whitelist for bitdefender and the windows firewall, started and installed it as administrator. Almost nothing happens when I start it. I get the typical Windows loading circle for a moment, then nothing. No process in the task manager, no tray icon. I have also tried various installation locations (the one suggested and one that worked well for a long time before). I'm located in germany but have absolutely no latin characters in my names (I'm an IT worker so its kinda in my blood).

I renamed the minion.xml but minion doesn't seem to get that far to recreate it. So I attached the renamed one and my actual minion.log. I had to cut a few lines out of the minion log from past years because it was too big

Hope you can help me
Thanks in advance for your time.

edit: I'm using Minion with my Win10 64-bit
Attached Files
File Type: xml bck_minion.xml (12.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: log minion.log (1.53 MB, 48 views)

Last edited by KillerKitty : 06/04/24 at 08:59 AM.
06/04/24, 11:20 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thanks for the info, that's what a good bug report should look like

From your log files I can see that the error was the one with the security certificates of Java which has been fixed with the Minion update.
And after that it just says it starts but does nothing which was the case if you run minion with admin/priviledged rights in the past and tried to install the new version "over the not uninstalled one" I think.

Question:
I see you wrote you uninstalled the old Minion before the update.
Are you really sure you have used the uninstaller of Minion and uninstalled it, the popup showed that asked if you want to keep your configuration or not (and you either choose to keep it which I assume you did not as you say you do not have any Minion.xml file anymore now).

Did you check the point 14 of the troubleshooting guide, about the ipv4 network switch?
If not please try that.

And maybe you already did the following so sorry if that was the case already:
If you try to uninstall it once again, remove all configuration and then check the install folder if all Minion files are gone (else delete them manually too).
Then install the 32bit Windows version to a new chosen folder and allow that in your Antivirus tools.

If that neither helps try to disable the protection of your Bitdefender software in general for 1 try, to see if that fixes it maybe?
06/06/24, 12:43 AM   #3
KillerKitty
Oh my, you really saved my addons setup!

I guess it was the part with "check the install folder if all Minion files are gone". There were still some files left after uninstallation, I guess that was the point. After deleting it and reinstalling, Minion came up smooth, had a few problems first detecting my addons, but now all my addons are up to date. Thank you so much!

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Minion sadly wont start anymore