06/10/24, 10:51 AM   #1
JJSugar
Minion won't delete/edit addons

Hi all. So I've been dealing with the issue stated in the title for a couple of months now but didn't realize this is what was happening until recently. Let me explain. So my minion for the most part works as intended in that it detects the game, detects the addon directory as well as any addons contained within, and it also can add addons to the directory. A while back, I posted in the Addons/Support forum thread because I had an issue where addons weren't working properly and at the time, I had believed it to be some sort of addon conflict or issue. Well as I mentioned, I recently realized this is actually an issue with my minion and how it is modifying (or trying to) addons.

The easiest situation to explain is say for instance when I delete and addon via minion. I go to the addon, right click, and hit uninstall. It should be that simple, right? Well, in my minion at that immediate moment, everything looks fine as the addon is no longer on the list. But if I go in game, the addon is still there. If I reload minion, the addon reappears and is still there. This made me curious and check the addon directory itself only to see that the addon is still there after deleting via minion. This is strange and I asked a friend to delete an addon via minion while watching the addon within their directory. As expected, when they deleted the addon via minion, the addon in their directory was also deleted. So why doesn't mine do this?

This all leads into an even more important issue that is kind of annoying at this point, updating and maintaining addons. My Minion is still keeping track that addons need to be updated and lets me know when a new update is available. However, I cannot tell if all my addons are updating properly via minion when I click "Install Update." Some addons will tell me outright that something isn't right and that I need to reinstall (Thank you code's combat alerts! This is the addon that made me more aware of this issue), some addons will keep working as before but run on whatever update I had installed before (Noticed this with Pithkas achievement tracker. Since the new update came out, I was noticing the new trial not being added to my pithkas even though I "intalled" the new update for it), and some addons will just not work anymore. So whatever is going on with my minion in the background I would like to fix and I have no idea how at this point. I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling and I tried making minion redetect the addon folder and the game. I tried looking through the settings within minion, but they seem very limited and I couldnt find anything that could help with this.

I can still add addons via minion just fine and it always downloads with the latest patch. What I've been doing as a workaround for my issues with addons is delete via minion and manually within the directory, then download the latest patch via minion. This is kind of annoying and defeats the purpose of having an addon manager. Any help would be appreciated to fix this issue, thank you for your time.

Last edited by JJSugar : 06/10/24 at 10:54 AM.
06/10/24, 11:57 AM   #2
wookiefriseur

Probably some anti virus or ransomware protection preventing quick deletion and modification of files within documents. Might also be cloud sync stuff or permission issues.

I wonder if the minion log says anything about a permission error or if the files are actually deleted but immediately restored.
06/10/24, 02:10 PM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Do you use Avast Antivirus?
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=avast

Or got OneDrive enabled (and the "Documents saved to cloud" option in particular there)?
Disable that then
See here how to find it in OneDrive: https://youtu.be/AdOPpmo1n2E?t=73
Disable the sync of the MyDocuments folder there then!

Else, read the sticky troubleshooting guide thread at this Minion forum (at the top) about "add whitelists to your antivirus".

Last edited by Baertram : 06/10/24 at 02:17 PM.
06/10/24, 03:08 PM   #4
JJSugar
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Do you use Avast Antivirus?
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=avast

Or got OneDrive enabled (and the "Documents saved to cloud" option in particular there)?
Disable that then
See here how to find it in OneDrive: https://youtu.be/AdOPpmo1n2E?t=73
Disable the sync of the MyDocuments folder there then!

Else, read the sticky troubleshooting guide thread at this Minion forum (at the top) about "add whitelists to your antivirus".
I do use avast! Actually now that you brought it up and now that I think about it, I might have gotten avast around the time this issue started happening
06/10/24, 04:33 PM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Read my forum post linked above then.
Avast uses a txt file protection called ransom ware proetction, that blocks changes to all txt, doc, docx etc. files in your users directory.
You MUSt whitelist Minion.exe and Eso64.exe and the user/documents.../elder scrolls online/ folder + subfolders or all access to any txt file like AddOnSettings.lua and UserSettings.lua and SavedVariables etc. are blocked.

But that's about the same for all Antivirus and Antimalware tools, as mentioned in Minion troubleshooting guide sticky thread: Allow/Whitelist the folders and files in your Antivirus tools!

Last edited by Baertram : 06/11/24 at 07:22 AM.
06/11/24, 07:21 AM   #6
JJSugar
Ah I thought I replied to this earlier but I guess something happened when I hit submit. Anyway, Avast was 100% the issue so thank you for pointing that out.

For any avast users out there experiencing the same issues I was with minion, open up avast, click the "protection" tab, click "ransomware shield," click "block or allow app," click "allow app," and then find minion to add it to the whitelist. After I did this, problem solved! You'll probably need to reinstall addons in minion via right clicking them and hitting reinstall. Thats it!

Last edited by JJSugar : 06/11/24 at 07:23 AM.
06/11/24, 07:23 AM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Make sure to allow the eso64.exe from your game's install "client" directory too. Else Avast might block the UserSettings and AddOnSettings .txt files and your enabled addons do not properly save, nor your user settings properly save.
06/11/24, 07:26 AM   #8
JJSugar
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Make sure to allow the eso64.exe from your game's install "client" directory too. Else Avast might block the UserSettings and AddOnSettings .txt files and your enabled addons do not properly save, nor your user settings properly save.
Will do, thanks!

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » Minion won't delete/edit addons