09/19/24, 03:41 PM   #1
zenyatharr
Lightbulb An AddOn that shows furniture from furniture list in 3d?

Okay, so i have some kind of experience in lua language, and some experience of scrapping game's files. So my idea is to make an AddOn that shows the current furnishings list, divines it by categories (craftable/archeology/crown store/etc) and show which of that player has and can/cannot craft/dig out. So that does not seem like a problem, i've found some other AddOns that do kinda same things separatly. But the thing - is it possible to make a viewer of the selected furniture in 3d, like original ZOs one, but like inside the AddOn. Mainly the question is - is this legal? May i do this? And if not - why?
09/19/24, 05:20 PM   #2
zenyatharr
Okay, i understand. Thank you for the quick answer!
09/20/24, 09:11 AM   #3
ZOS_DanBatson
ZOS Staff!

Yes this person is from ZeniMax!
If you have a list of furniture ids, there's no reason you can't make something that previews those furnishings using the preview system. And as far as I know the furniture browser isn't private. So I don't see why you couldn't make something to do this in game. If you want it to be one that does all possible furnishings in the game that's a bigger ask but there's probably a way to compile a viable list to work with. Building out that list in a satisfactory way would be the biggest lift. But once you've decided on all the item ids and collectible ids, preview would be a breeze. You don't need to know anything about models. You just needs items and collectibles.

Last edited by ZOS_DanBatson : 09/20/24 at 09:14 AM.
09/20/24, 09:14 AM   #4
zenyatharr
Originally Posted by ZOS_DanBatson View Post
If you have a list of furniture ids, there's no reason you can't make something that previews those furnishings using the preview system. And as far as I know the furniture browser isn't private. SO I don't see why you couldn't make something to do this in game. If you want it to be one that does all possible furnishings in the game that's a bigger ask but there's probably a way to compile a viable list to work with.
Oh wow, thanks for the reply! I understand that there's gotta be a lot of work, but like, i have a fixation and be glad to do this) That's really good news for me!
09/20/24, 09:22 AM   #5
zenyatharr
And as far as I know the furniture browser isn't private. So I don't see why you couldn't make something to do this in game.
Oh, so then another question. So, if furniture browser isn't private, is the collections browser private? Like, may i make the same for armors and weapons?
09/20/24, 11:49 AM   #6
ZOS_DanBatson
ZOS Staff!

Originally Posted by zenyatharr View Post
Oh, so then another question. So, if furniture browser isn't private, is the collections browser private? Like, may i make the same for armors and weapons?
None of that is private. So yea you can preview outfit styles with an add-on. Though the Outfit screen already does that so not a lot of value there. Actual gear (i.e.g: weapon/armor items) cannot be previewed, though.
09/20/24, 12:07 PM   #7
zenyatharr
Actual gear (i.e.g: weapon/armor items) cannot be previewed, though.
That means that I can't make the addon with this feature or that there is no such feature in-game (afaik there is, no?)
09/20/24, 02:21 PM   #8
ZOS_DanBatson
ZOS Staff!

Actually, I may be wrong. It looks like there is code to preview weapons and armor. Didn't know we added that. So ignore me, give it a shot!
09/20/24, 03:45 PM   #9
zenyatharr
Actually, I may be wrong. It looks like there is code to preview weapons and armor. Didn't know we added that. So ignore me, give it a shot!
Wow! Amazing! I'm like ON FIRE right now!!! I'll do it whatever it takes (in reasonable manner ahah)!!!
09/22/24, 07:16 AM   #10
wookiefriseur

Thumbs up

Oh, good to know that furniture preview works. I might look into enabling it for FurnitureCatalogue. I could have sworn that previews were being blocked at some point in the past. Or at least that's what other AddOn authors said.

Most of the items don't contain info on their source, so you will have to do that manually. Sometimes the source can be extracted from the flavour text and you can check if it's craftable furniture. Other than that you only have info on the furnishing category.

If you like, you could contribute to FurnitureCatalogue (GitHub) or just have a look at the code for inspiration. It is a furniture database that does some of what you're trying to do.I'm currently maintaining it but not actively playing, so the updates are a bit slow.
09/23/24, 08:43 AM   #11
ZOS_DanBatson
ZOS Staff!

I have been reminded about a thing that was implemented to prevent the previewing of furniture that we don't already know should be something you'd be allowed to know about (in the store, in your inventory, etc) so that you can't just preview all possible things and possibly see things that weren't meant to be public yet. So this may not be as possible as I suggested. From an API perspective yes, but there are presumably limitations.
09/23/24, 08:58 AM   #12
wookiefriseur

Ok, thanks for clarifying

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » An AddOn that shows furniture from furniture list in 3d?