Today, 06:10 AM   #21
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Any feedback is welcome, thanks guys.

I know that I often sound rude because I'm very direct and ask to read stuff.
What often is missing is the information that you actually did that already (and more often the fact the ones did not read nor use the search methods at all... They simply register here, drop some text lines and expect to get it fixed asap).

If you ask for help, especially software related, you should be as clear as possible:
-What's the issue
-Copy the complete error message with detailed informtion (ESC-> AddOns -> enable detailed error messages)
-How to rebuild the error message, from login/reloadui to the error in simple steps
-Does it happen with only the one addon in question too (if not tested: do so!)
-What other addons are enabled as this happens (addons distur each other and in 50% the errors are not due to the addon in question but issued by others in combination).
-What did you read already
-What did you do / try to solve it yourself already

Many of this information isjust missing, and you guys often write only the error message,
or only say "I get the same error" (especially those messages are just not helping then and clutter the chat unnecessarily).

I know it it's not easy to understand all those error messages and procedures if you are not experienced with addons nor software development.
On the other hand it's hard for us to help if the info is missing
So we need to find a way to provide that info as good as possible and then we can work on it to fix stuff.

That's why sirinsidiator invented LibDebugLogger e.g. so you can share all kind of info automatically, like loaded addons, error messages, call stacks that shows where the code came from and went to until error, server you play on, and so on.
We ask everywhere to provide that info please (but it's only followed in like 10%- of the error reports).

And that's why we prepared all that info as text to read for you guys so we do not have to repeat ourselves 100 times:
The sticky threads at the forum tops each provide the most info and tell you what to do.

If you do not understand the content feel free to provide direct feedback there/as private message to me so we can improve the texts and make it easier to understand.
But we cannot always go into detail on each post/comment at 1000000 addons again and again explaining all there. That's simply impossible and YOU need to tell US what you need to understand better, and how we can achieve that.
After that we will be able to improve the texts and the help possibilities.

So if you do no understand how to read the lua error messages, and you did read the sticky threads to see how it works and still do not get it, tell us what you understood and what not, where you got stuck etc. That way we can improve and you learn to help yourself, and us, better too.

Don't get me wrong: We try to and we do as good as possible. I'm pretty sure you do the same
But I see a lack of communication in many "initial" posts here, and I'm not going to invest hours of my time anymore (I can only say that about my answers and time invested -> others speak for themselves) thinking about "what could the posting guy have done already or not" -> It's your turn to tell me that please, fully automatically, without asking.
I cannot read minds and won't try to

So sorry again if I sound unfriendly in my answers, it's not meant to be unfriendly. It's just a direct way to say "read here", "help us to help you" and to save time (and yes I must admit some of my answers are showing the "annoyed" state clearly, but that's on purpose -> Especially if some ppl ask the very same question in 5 threads/comments that were created like within 10 minutes about the same: e.g. "Minion not connecting to internet" -> That CLEARLY shows they are not even trying to search and find an answer. They just want to send the error message and then move on, and expect to have others do their homework for them :-( ).

Last edited by Baertram : Today at 06:17 AM.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Master Merchant not working.