03/13/24, 06:20 AM   #1
static_recharge
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Splitting up Add-on into Multiple Files

Hello I was hoping someone could explain to me good practices (and how they work) for splitting up a large add-on into multiple files. For example having one file for the settings menu information (settingsmenu.lua for example). I'm trying to mimic what I see in other add-ons by using _G[] and whatnot but I'm just not understanding the full picture and how methods play a role into this. I've tried the following code:

Start of StaticsRecruiter.lua
Code:
local SR = _G['StaticsRecruiter']
SR.addonName = "Static's Recruiter"
Start of SettingsMenu.lua
Code:
local SR = _G['StaticsRecruiter']
function SR:Create settings menu()
end
When my code runs it says it's attempting to index a nil value at the
function SR:Create settings menu()
line.

Any help or pointing in the right direction is appreciated. I tried searching the forums but I couldn't find anything on the subject. I might have been using the wrong terms. Thanks in advance.
03/13/24, 08:10 AM   #2
sirinsidiator

Check the wiki. There are some tutorials. This one for example is exactly about what you are asking.
03/13/24, 11:21 AM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Also remember that the : notation for function calls shoud be used for created objects of classes (created via ZO_Object:SubClass() e.g. where you can use self to reference the created object), and not simple tables {}.

So if SR = {} only, better do not use function SR:FunctionName but SR.FunctionName and calls as well via . and not : notation.
Easier to read and to understand.

In the end it works with : too, right. But the usage of "self" for simple tables is not intended afaik
03/13/24, 01:23 PM   #4
static_recharge
Thank you for the quick replies everyone. It has been a while since I looked at that tutorial and had forgotten that it showed what I needed. I'll read that over again. Cheers!

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Splitting up Add-on into Multiple Files