04/16/14, 04:05 AM   #1
Obbut
Networking?

Hello,

I'm planning on developing an Elder Scrolls Online addon. The addon I want to develop will require some sort of network communication with a remote server. This may be via HTTP, 'raw sockets', or something else; I will also be writing the other end of the communication so the choice there is free.

Is it possible and allowed to communicate over a network in a ESO plugin?

All replies are appreciated!
04/16/14, 04:37 AM   #2
Stormknight

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The short answer is that it's not possible.

There *are* ways of rigging it up by using a 3rd party application to read/write to the saved variables, but the data only transfers when you login/logout.
04/16/14, 06:04 AM   #3
thelegendaryof

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Well, I've tried looking into that yesterday. ESO uses Awesomium for example for their Support-Pages, however their "Browser"-Control implementation only supports Flags (well the 4th Parameter is a String but doesn't seem to do anything) so it seems like they didn't want us to be able to use the Browser to do anything else then their preconfigurated Pages - otherwise it might have been possible to Exchange Data.

Thought maybe someone digs up a hidden API-Function or a way to access the Awesomium-Process or they change the Browser Component to accept custom URLs (maybe limit the Data Input for those only to JSON).

Until then - no it 's probably not possible.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Networking?