03/17/19, 02:59 AM   #1
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[open] Addon file loaded state

Over the past few years, I got a lot of error reports which are ultimately caused by a missing file. This seemingly happens a lot when users install an addon via the Minion addon manager, but can also happen in other cases. Unfortunately the game silently ignores missing files and just loads the addon as if everything was ok.

In my opinion it would be better if the game treated missing files as a critical problem which prevents the whole addon from loading and showed which files it could not load. That way a user would immediately see that their installation went bad and they have to reinstall the addon.

For now I have resorted to build my own integrity checker which tests if the necessary components defined in each file are available. While doing so, I noticed that there is seemingly no way to test if a virtual control exists. Right now I can only create a control from the template or just put a dummy control in the xml. I tried to use <String> as a workaround, but it seems values defined that way cannot be accessed from Lua. A function DoesVirtualControlExist(controlName) and GetXmlString(stringName) would be appreciated.

Last edited by sirinsidiator : 03/17/19 at 04:11 AM. Reason: incorrect assumption

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Wish List » [open] Addon file loaded state