06/23/20, 09:50 PM   #1
rangda
Exclamation bugs: Minion has issues with Win10 live logins

If you log into Windows 10 using a live account your documents folder is in this path:

C:\users\<USER>\OneDrive\Documents

This causes Minion to be unable to find ESO AddOns folder. I didn't see anything interesting in the log but it looks like it went and made a C:\users\<USER>\Documents folder with a minion.lnk file in it when it did the detection.

You can work around this by deleting the Documents folder minion created and then creating a symbolic directory link to link by running this command from a command prompt:

mklink /d "C:\users\<USER>\Documents" "C:\users\<USER>\OneDrive\Documents"

However it would be nice if that hack was not necessary. I suspect it will be beyond the abilities of a non-trivial number of users.

Also the default save location in settings is initially set to C:\Users\<USER>/.minion
(note the forward slash)

Every time I restart minion it forgets about ESO and prompts me to re-scan for games again. Clicking the "Reset tio Default" button changed the path to C:\users\<USER>\.minion and after doing this it works correctly.
06/24/20, 08:14 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is not correct afaik:
Code:
This causes Minion to be unable to find ESO AddOns folder.
In the past this was the problem:
It causes ESO to not find the correct addons folder ingame and this is a known ESO problem, if you use OneDrive.
You need to disable OneDrive AND/OR move your documents folder away from OneDrive.
->Or use the mklink function you have mentioned to symlink it

Could be that Microsoft Live is something new I do not know yet and which behaves differently but Minion was not the problem if OneDrive is used, but OneDrive was/is!

btw: Use Minion 32bit version even on a 64bit OS, start Minion as admin (both like mentioned in the troubleshooting Minion guide), and your folder problems should be gone for the / and \. At least it never occured to me that the / or \ makes a difference.

Last edited by Baertram : 06/24/20 at 08:17 AM.
06/24/20, 04:04 PM   #3
rangda
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Minion was not the problem if OneDrive is used, but OneDrive was/is!
The standard behavior of Win10 when you log in with a live account is to stick documents, pictures, etc. on OneDrive for backup. The non-onedrive documents folder was empty except for a minion created file (I can't speak to whether the folder existed previously or not because I never checked). I'd argue that ESO is doing the right thing (well not really since it should be sticking things in Documents\My Games and it isn't) and Minion isn't. I can tell you if I tried to get this one by my boss as a feature and not a bug I suspect he'd be less than amused.

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Use Minion 32bit version even on a 64bit OS, start Minion as admin (both like mentioned in the troubleshooting Minion guide)
I tried using 32 bit minion before posting, it didn't help. Admittedly I didn't try elevating but I install minion in a non-default path that allows writes w/o requiring elevation.

I admit I'm also puzzled why / vs \ matters. .NET (and I think Win32, but it's been a long time since I've done raw Win32 coding) is tolerant of getting forward slashes in paths. I thought I saw somewhere that Minion was Java, I'm not at all familiar with the Java IO libraries but I'd expect them to eventually end up calling into Win32.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » bugs: Minion has issues with Win10 live logins