12/28/19, 01:51 PM   #1
marlonbrando
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
No addons next patch?

This thread raises the surprising rumor that addons will be disabled next patch:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...banning-addons

Has anyone heard a similar rumor?
12/28/19, 02:41 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Nope. We'll see

If they think the addons are the cause of a bad server performance, I guess there addon system used is the bad one. Or the servers are.
Guess there are some trolls on the forum thread so just watch out for official ZOs answers and ignore the rest.

But disabling all addons to fix server lags etc. would be a loss of many players imo (including addon devs).
This would fix the performance for sure...

Last edited by Baertram : 12/28/19 at 02:46 PM.
12/28/19, 03:59 PM   #3
Rhyono
If their thought process is that addons are too much of a strain, so drop them: they should drop Cyrodiil, as that is a massive strain. I'm sure they'll lose an equal number of players from either move.
12/28/19, 04:02 PM   #4
livinlifejb
Originally Posted by Rhyono View Post
If their thought process is that addons are too much of a strain, so drop them: they should drop Cyrodiil, as that is a massive strain. I'm sure they'll lose an equal number of players from either move.
mmm not really as the PVP base is WAAAAY smaller than the PVE base is. pvp'ers make up only a fraction of the players. It would be a loss, but not necessarily one they wouldn't be able to recover from. according to the rumor, this "ban on addons" was mentioned in an official twitch stream. so who knows.

I would however like to see some info about how the new client will or might impact addons. As that is something I have not seen them address.

Last edited by livinlifejb : 12/28/19 at 04:04 PM.
12/28/19, 04:09 PM   #5
Rhyono
If you remove pvp, you'd literally lose everyone that solely plays for pvp. If you remove addons, certainly you're inconveniencing far more people, but I don't think you'd lose them all.

Some addons fall under quality of life/nice to haves and many players would keep going without them. However, there are some addons that change things from nearly unbearable to decent/good. If ZOS were to remove addons, that now means players have to deal with an inferior game or they have to step up and improve their UIs as well as adding new ones. I can assure you, the odds of them paying people to do the latter when they've had a massive unpaid community solve it for them for half a decade is inconceivably slim.
12/28/19, 06:56 PM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
If you remove pvp, you'd literally lose everyone that solely plays for pvp. If you remove addons, certainly you're inconveniencing far more people, but I don't think you'd lose them all.

Some addons fall under quality of life/nice to haves and many players would keep going without them. However, there are some addons that change things from nearly unbearable to decent/good. If ZOS were to remove addons, that now means players have to deal with an inferior game or they have to step up and improve their UIs as well as adding new ones. I can assure you, the odds of them paying people to do the latter when they've had a massive unpaid community solve it for them for half a decade is inconceivably slim.
I totally agree here.
12/28/19, 09:39 PM   #7
livinlifejb
Again, people overestimate the size of the pvp population in ESO. Like big time. Just saying that without pvp, the game would actually be able to be balanced instead of everything be based around the balance in pvp which then ruins the rest. but thats beside the point.

I will be interested to see what the client change does do to addon functionality in general. I'm guessing that some of the more popular ones will completely break. murphy's law and all that.
12/28/19, 10:40 PM   #8
Rhyono
Whether addon support will change aside: did they give a release date for the new client?
12/28/19, 11:56 PM   #9
livinlifejb
Whether addon support will change aside: did they give a release date for the new client?
its scheduled for Q1 of 2020 i believe. So sometime in the next 3 months probably.
12/29/19, 07:06 AM   #10
sirinsidiator

I'm not sure what you mean by "new client"? All that will happen is that the resource files are restructured and cleaned up, which won't make a difference for addons as the game itself will stay the same. The only exception are addons that use resources from the game files which are not used ingame and will be removed.
12/29/19, 07:45 AM   #11
Marazota
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
The only exception are addons that use resources from the game files which are not used ingame and will be removed.
examples???
12/29/19, 08:06 AM   #12
sirinsidiator

Originally Posted by Marazota View Post
examples???
No examples. Not even sure if there are any addons that use such textures, but we'll find out once the pts arrives.
12/29/19, 02:42 PM   #13
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...omment_6519356
12/29/19, 03:40 PM   #14
jphipps85
ZOS_GinaBruno says:

"Just to put some of these rumors to bed:

1. We are not banning addons in the next patch.
2. The “API guy” did not die."
12/30/19, 07:09 AM   #15
livinlifejb
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "new client"? All that will happen is that the resource files are restructured and cleaned up, which won't make a difference for addons as the game itself will stay the same. The only exception are addons that use resources from the game files which are not used ingame and will be removed.
They are reworking the entire client and everyone is going to have uninstall and redownload the game.
12/30/19, 07:23 AM   #16
sirinsidiator

Originally Posted by livinlifejb View Post
They are reworking the entire client and everyone is going to have uninstall and redownload the game.
You are mistaken. All they are reworking is the way data is stored, which is why you need to redownload everything. The client and the APIs for addons will stay the same.

Check the performance improvement plan:
Q1 2020: Update 25

Patching overhaul
Big changes to the way ESO is downloaded, patched, and stored on local hard drives. We need to refresh ESO’s patching and file manifest data to remove duplicate files and older data that is no longer needed. This will result in a major reduction of space taken up by the client on the player’s local hard drive. Console players will see a significantly larger impact compared to PC, because of the way those patching systems work
User Experience: Major improvement in load times, streaming of assets, and reliability of asset loads, especially on consoles
NOTE: Every ESO player, on every platform, will have to re-download the game client when this change happens, probably with the launch of Update 25
NOTE: After this change happens, patch size going forward should also be reduced
The "remove duplicate files and older data" part is the only thing that may affect addons.
01/08/20, 10:02 AM   #17
ZOS_DanBatson
ZOS Staff!

Yes this person is from ZeniMax!
Was very relieved to hear that the "API Guy" hadn't died. That would have been confusing.

But yea, Gina is right, not sure where the rumor comes from, but it's certainly not from any initiative on our end.
01/09/20, 02:33 AM   #18
Micke2nd
Smile

Originally Posted by ZOS
NOTE: Every ESO player, on every platform, will have to re-download the game client when this change happens ....
I was wondering about that sentence anyway. That users have to download a update, is not really part of "performance improvements"
Even if it is meant as help, better prepare for it, what can the user do in the meantime ? Rinse the cable out or buy new Wifi spray ?

Last edited by Micke2nd : 01/09/20 at 02:37 AM.
01/09/20, 05:06 AM   #19
Octopuss

You got it wrong.
Everyone will have to redownload the entire game.
01/09/20, 05:40 AM   #20
Micke2nd
Originally Posted by Octopuss View Post
You got it wrong.
Could be, but I don't think though.
The word "update" denotes a change (or sources to do it), not the amount or percentage of ressources are replaced.
It doesnt matter if you modify 1 or all files, or download a size of 10x the previous "entire game".

Last edited by Micke2nd : 01/09/20 at 05:54 AM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » No addons next patch?