12/29/20, 01:56 PM   #1
Jord56
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Having A Hard Time Learning

I not new to programming or coding have some experience with c#, javascript and even lua.

I find learning UIXML/Lua hard because of the lack of video tutorials, I'm able to still go through written tutorials and have done all the ones on the wiki. I just learn faster and absorb more information when i'm hearing a voice and seeing whats being done on screen ect.

I followed all the written tutorials here "https://wiki.esoui.com/Main_Page" basically went through and read the whole WIKI and still have no idea how to start from scratch and turn my own idea into an addon....

I have improved the addon called "CoordsAndHeadings" by adding a patch file which is located here https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2877.html and incorporated what I learned from this tutorial https://wiki.esoui.com/Circonian%27s_Tutorials to update that addon originally created by andre.

I also have looked at the files inside many addons like "Harvest Map" and that file structure is a mess for me to understand and dissect since there isn't any tutorials teaching that type of file structure. All the tutorials taught me was lua, txt and xml.

What i'm getting at here, is maybe someone that works at ESOUI could start their own YouTube channel and create visual tutorials teaching how to make addons the basics, intermediate to advanced ways. If not someone at ESOUI then maybe an experienced addon creator could if they have the time. All i know is when searching "how to create eso addons" on YouTube nothing comes up there might be a market there to build a YouTube channel and make some ad money while also helping the new addon programmers.

Anyways, just a thought. feel free to reply with helpful resources that are not on the ESOUI wiki since i've already read through almost everything so far.
12/29/20, 03:05 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
You know, don't get me wrong, but creating videos for free, which take a lot of time, is not really something that I personally would like to do.
Beside that I'm not that kind of Youtube influenced person, and I still know how to read a book :-p
I'm not speaking for all here, that's for sure. But I doubt anyone will start to make video tutorials for ESO addon creation undless he&she hadn't planned to do this already. Noone did since 2014 And I really doubt that anyone will pay for those videos, nor enough ppl would watch them so that you would earn money via advertising. The chance is higher that you earn money with "videos about existing addons and how to setup them".

The Wiki and the forums are the ressources for the written information + the gitter chat will be the extra ressource to use, where you are able to ask questions to the other devs. If you do not understand why addons are created with that particular file structure, or whatever other questions you might have: Just ask and we are happy to help/explain it.

The Wiki is changable by each user who is willing to so if you feel something is not clear or could be explained by other tutorial material, you are also able to create your own Wiki entries, or even create such a video and link them there.

Last edited by Baertram : 12/30/20 at 08:53 AM.
12/29/20, 04:08 PM   #3
Phuein

Ain't gonna do it either, but see if my New Addon linked in my signature helps you at all. Ideally, it should have enough content to get most new addons going quickly.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Having A Hard Time Learning